New boiler - But system not flushed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had an Vaillant Ecotec637 and Megaflow fitted to an old central heating system(about ten/fifteen years old). The boiler is up and running, but the installer hasn't yet flushed the system out. He said he would pop back in a few days to add cleaning fluid, leave it for a few days then drain down and refill.

From things I have read I'm getting the impression the system should have been cleaned before the boiler was fitted. If it's done this way round is it going to cause any serious problems to my new boiler?

Sponsored Links
According to manufacturers instructions, the system must be cleaned before a new boiler is installed. Otherwise, any debris in the system would/could contaminate the new boiler, thus possibly invalidating the manufacturers warranty.

it is a possibility.

depends upon the quality of the water in the existing system.

has the 'benchmark log book' been filled out ?

what does it say in the appropriate area ?

have they been registered ?

Well when the system was drained down the water was pretty black. He said that when he returns he will fill in all the log books, guarantee cards etc.

If he adds the cleaning fluid and then returns to drain down and refill will this be okay or should I pull him up on it.

The boiler that was previously in place had packed up, so I suppose the only way it could have been cleaned is by power flushing. Perhaps he didn't have the kit.

He is a registered Vaillant installer.

Sponsored Links
We have done this too from time to time, usually because of time constraints.

I would not worry about it if he was recommended to you and you are happy with him so far

:)

if you were quoted for a 'power flush' & did not receive it, then you may have a point.

if you were not, would you have been prepared to pay the extra £400 (roughly) to have it carried out ?

He was recommended, and to be honest if it's not going to ruin the boiler then I'm happy.

However, I'm not sure time constraints can be a good excuse for not doing it the right way. I have been paying him on a daily rate and the system wasn't cheap.

Good point Spacethegas. As I say it really comes down to the effect on the boiler. If doing it this way isn't going to have a detrimental effect on the boiler then no I wouldn't pay the extra. If I thought it was going to harm the boiler, then yes quite possibly I would have.[/u]

it is often the difference between winning & losing in regard to tendering a quote.

the system must be cleaned to comply with bs & boiler manufacturers requirements in order to validate the guarantee.

Yes I can well believe that.

But no one has really answered the question. Putting aside the manufacturers guarantee. By cleaning the system this way, i.e. putting cleaning fluid in after the boiler is up and running. Is it liable to cause problems to the boiler or is it a tried and tested method that a lot of installers use (including when they install their own systems), because it never seems to cause any problems.

Or has he just cut corners to save time, that might cause me a problem a couple of years down the line, when he is long gone.

when they install their own systems

i installed my own plumbing & heating from scratch (due to fire damage).

i was 10 times more stringent than any regulations or requirements.

i would have to charge on a par with BG to offer the same service to any one else.

it is irrelevant as i would have no work.

Okay fair point we're always more careful when we do it for ourselves... but still no one has answered the question. Is it liable to damage my boiler, should I be concerned?

As long as the system water is clean by the time he has finished his flushing and cleansing process and a inhibitor is added it is very unlikely you will have any problems, Gary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back