New boiler installed on an old system. Bodged job?** PICS **

It might bear more fruit than asking installers for free advice when the majority of them feel left out by not having the opportunity to participate in the scheme. They're not entirely right but they do have a valid point and probably most would be able to do a better job for less.

I dont think thats exactly the angle that bothers the majority of installers.

I think that its more that its public funds which are being used so inefficiently to do a poor quality job.

Few are able to offer their services because of this £300 admin fee which is deducted when they dont use their tame Eaga installers.

I am aware that there may have been recent changes to how the scheme is run after the public outcry against it being a waste of money.

Its not well targetted either. An installer here fitted a Warmfront boiler for a wealthy fellow in an expensive house with a nice new big car and he got it because he was somehow slightly disabled whereas someone who is poor but not disabled does not get one when he cannot afford to get his boiler repaired.

Sponsored Links
You may well be right in that but it's not the impression I get from reading posts in the past. They wanted a piece of the pie.

As for targeting the money don't forget I visited 4500 houses to survey installations, I know how the money is targeted. There are conundrums like that but all you have to do is come up with a solution that's equitable and fair in law and pass it on to your MP.

It's an anathema to the MP's who designed the scheme to means test the grant so it's a 'your poor and disabled, you get it' or you're wealthy and disabled , you don't' - that'd end up straight away in from of the courts. Then you'd have to carry out the financial assessment of someone as well which will cost time and money. The scheme architects just took what they thought was a better route good or bad as it turned out.

I was never interested in the install side of things but don't you mean the £50 deducted from the £300 for admin on grants to people who didn't qualify?

Does make me smile however when I think of the problems Eaga had getting and controlling 160 odd installation companies for adherence to the spec and quality then try to envisage giving several thousand independent installers the grant and doing the same to them. For every job that went pear shaped more went well. It isn't a Blue streak, Concorde, botched multi-million pound NHS IT scheme, Vodaphone tax break, MP jolly overseas or £1000 a roll wallpaper in a ministers office, some 'ordinary people' got something.

And still they moan though nobody forced it on them, they applied after reading the reports of poor work.

I was never interested in the install side of things but don't you mean the £50 deducted from the £300 for admin on grants to people who didn't qualify?

As I understand it after the complaints that almost all the work was being done by their tame companies they widened the scheme to allow independents to quote but then deducted £300 to cover "administrative costs".

Taking £300 off not very much leaves very little at all.

Many of the posters on here are independents and I doubt they would be interested in these "social" installs when many of them probably became independent just bto get away from them when employed.

I would never consider them but I still dont like seeing public money used to line the pockets of those who own Eaga etc. ( Apparently the largest boiler installers in the country by numbers! ) Nor do I like seeing second rate installations or installers who sell the inhibitor on Ebay instead of putting it into the system.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I also have seen a new boiler installed by an Eaga employee as a private job where he left out a flue seal and left the boiler as dangerous and told the customer that it was a faulty boiler.

He put the Eaga gas reg number on the warrantee form!

For those who dont know, thats illegal as he is not gas registered except when working for his registered employer.

I did speak to someone at Eaga about that but guess what? They were not interested !

As I understand it after the complaints that almost all the work was being done by their tame companies they widened the scheme to allow independents to quote but then deducted £300 to cover "administrative costs".

Taking £300 off not very much leaves very little at all.

Many of the posters on here are independents and I doubt they would be interested in these "social" installs when many of them probably became independent just bto get away from them when employed.

I would never consider them but I still dont like seeing public money used to line the pockets of those who own Eaga etc. ( Apparently the largest boiler installers in the country by numbers! ) Nor do I like seeing second rate installations or installers who sell the inhibitor on Ebay instead of putting it into the system.

Tony

Hi Tony

Not sure where you got this info from but youre well wide off the mark ... you deducted £300.00 off the cost to the end user then claimed this back from EAGA and they deucted £50.00 for admin ... this was only on the jobs for people that where over 65 and got the £300.00 grant towards a new boiler but this was only if the existing boiler was not working
The scheme that this ladys boiler has been installed under is the only scheme that is left and there are only a few companies left doing this work and up to £3800.00 can be obtained towards the cost ... yes £3800.00 .... any more and the customer pays the balance
We looked into joining but the paperwork and bank bonds that you have to take out before getting the work limits to only a few companies
Why people on benefits etc should get a free boiler is beyond me but then most things this country does is beyond me
Sarahjones ... is youre mums heating working or are you just trying to find a fight thats not there ........ as none of us where there we can only assume whats been done and as the work has to be signed off by an idependent body then |Im pretty sure if anything has been missed they will pick up on it ...

I bow to your knowledge of fixing boilers Agile but I worked on the scheme for four years and have read many of the posts here and you're just plain wide of the mark. It's a change as I thought I had a monopoly on being there.

For every poop WF job many more were good and for every good independents job a less than perfect one goes in and independents do many more jobs than the WF scheme.

Below are photographs of a couple of independents installations, did anyone take notice? No! Does that make all independents bad? No.

It's life and we should all try to do the best we can and help others and stay away from the dross.

Some of the people I saw were in a pitiful state and others very comfortable but I didn't vote for that crowd and I obey the law, work and pay my taxes. Take it to your MP like the OP should.

I'm more worried about Hartnett signing sweetheart deals to Vodaphone, Tesco's , Goldman Sachs etc all with offshore tax avoidance schemes and letting them off billions. We could all have new boilers if they claimed that lot back.

Sarahjones ... is youre mums heating working or are you just trying to find a fight thats not there ........ as none of us where there we can only assume whats been done and as the work has to be signed off by an idependent body then |Im pretty sure if anything has been missed they will pick up on it ...

Yes the boiler is working, but that is not the point. It was installed in a wilfully negligent fashion by a person who is meant to know better. From reading the correct procedure or accepted standards of system cleanliness, I can say with pretty much certainty that the warranty on the boiler is null and void. If you went in for a hospital for a removal of an appendix and the surgeon couldn't be arsed and decided to remove your whole large instestine as it would save him time or money, you'd be the first one running to the medical negligence solictors.

Pictures as requested. The work looks like OK to me for a lay person and frankly I am not bothered by the neatness or the lack thereof - I just want it to work and keep on working. As you can see, no stickers anywhere. Oh ...just noticed ..looks like a screw is missing from the right hand side as well!

[PICS DELETED]

Yes the boiler is working, but that is not the point. It was installed in a wilfully negligent fashion by a person who is meant to know better. From reading the correct procedure or accepted standards of system cleanliness, I can say with pretty much certainty that the warranty on the boiler is null and void. If you went in for a hospital for a removal of an appendix and the surgeon couldn't be a***d and decided to remove your whole large instestine as it would save him time or money, you'd be the first one running to the medical negligence solictors.

Pictures as requested. The work looks like OK to me for a lay person and frankly I am not bothered by the neatness or the lack thereof - I just want it to work and keep on working. As you can see, no stickers anywhere. Oh ...just noticed ..looks like a screw is missing from the right hand side as well!

Ok ... drain a bit of water out of the drain cock into a jam jar and then top the pressure back up ........ take a pic of the water and post it and then let us all try and guess if its been done correctly
As I have said ... we where not there ... yes the pipework is not very neat but its been crossbonded which is more tham most idependant installs that I see
Contact EAGA

Since all you guys constantly go on about rogues and cowboys undercutting you and leaving customers with a bad experience and giving you all a bad name, I am surprised that no one will tell me if I have the install steps in the right order and that they are not excessive/convoluted/etc bits. This will form the main bulk of my complaint letter to the company and I want them to have an excuses from honouring their part of the deal.

Please tell me if this is the correct procedure (original boiler not working):-

1) Rapidly drain the system - opening all TRV's and air vents.
2) Remove the old boiler.
3) Fit *jig* for new boiler (but not boiler)
4) Powerflush the system throughly for a approx 4 hours or more.
5) Cold flush system to remove any powerflush cleanser/Fernox F3 residue until TDS <10% compared to tap water.
6) Fit the new boiler
7) Fill system and do a cold flush
8 ) Fill system again and add more Fernox F3, then run the new boiler to heat water for 1 hour. Drain the system whilst water is still hot.
9) Flush system until water is clear.
10) Refill system and add inhibitor.

Have I got that right or not?

Do you know what a TDS test is?

If not how do you know a powerflush is needed?

TDS is the total dissolved solids ie impurities compared to tap water. A powerflush may not be needed, but it was quoted on the job sheet and was a part of the job. It would have been helpful becuase:-

a)There are 2 rads that do not heat up very well and there are signs of external rust with the white enamel coming off,
b)The system is 10 years old and leaked, we had to refill with water regularly increasing the corrosion inside the system,
c)A new boiler has been fitted and I didn't want that exposed to crud from the old system so a powerflush would have helped a lot
d)My warranty would not have been voided if powerflush had been done
e)Remeha mandates a powerflush if their boiler is installed in an existing system

Have you taken your water sample yet?

I will be taking one on Friday when I go to my parents house

Google, eh? a marvellous thing.

So you are moaning about all this before you have the facts to hand.

External signs of rust could just mean someone had a bad aim when they went to a whiz. It has little to do with what is happening on the inside.

Thread has dragged on a bit, but for all your bellyaching on here, has the installer even been contacted about your concerns?

You didn't see this, you didn't see that, you don't know this you don't know that... :rolleyes:

You don't have a Remeha boiler so it is irrelevant what their warranty stipulates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back