New boiler Screaming.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fit some condensing combis recently to existing systems. All fit by the book with the system powerflushed and spirovent dirt seperaters fit on the returns. All has been well till the other day ,this boiler is screaming when the it fires at its max on c/h or d/h/w its like a plane flying over.
I have visited with the manufacturers and we are sure its the ht/ex but im to powerflush the system again before this is changed

Has anyone else had this problem even though you think you have done everything by the book ?

Has anyone had boiler noise after fitting the magnaclean or boiler buddy ?

Sponsored Links
No its not a Glowworm.
I didnt really want to say the manu/fac as it has been a good boiler so far.
But anyhow its a chaff Minima.

Had similar problems with Chaffoteaux Britonys. In those cases it was caused by the use of a cheap inhibitor (Protex). I had to flush the inhibitor out and refill with something else. Perhaps the inhibitor was causing too much frothing and this allowed the heat exchanger to overheat, but it was only on max stat setting and was a kind of screaming noise.

But if the noise is really like a plane flying over it might be the return filter being blocked. The Britonys had the return filter tucked away inside and you wouldn't realise it was there if you didn't read the manual carefully. The Minima might have a similar arrangement.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if there is a return filter fitted to this boiler but a plane noise could be the auto bypass resonating with a blocked flow/return

Sounds like a Baxi to me or V2 Buz bomb! Theres are aparently related to PCBs & venturi.

Hope this is usefull

andsam said:
I have fit some condensing combis recently to existing systems. All fit by the book with the system powerflushed and spirovent dirt seperaters fit on the returns. All has been well till the other day ,this boiler is screaming when the it fires at its max on c/h or d/h/w its like a plane flying over.
I have visited with the manufacturers and we are sure its the ht/ex but im to powerflush the system again before this is changed

Has anyone else had this problem even though you think you have done everything by the book ?

Has anyone had boiler noise after fitting the magnaclean or boiler buddy ?

I am not very familiar with this model.

If the V2 noise is only for a few seconds after the CH comes on but not on DHW then its probably because you have left the CH power output at the maximum setting.

If that is the case then you may have already caused a build up of limescale in the primary heat exchanger.

Tony

Wasn't it V1's which had the reverberatory rocket motor, all most people heard of the V2 was "boom" :eek:

I think the V1 has a jet engine Chris, whereas the V2 had a rocket engine and completed the last part of its ballistic trajectory in free fall, hence the silent-but-deadly approach :(

The V1 engine was a pulse jet. Air is forced into the intake through shutters like those on extractor fan outlets (only stronger!) and then the shutters close and fuel is injected and ignited. The explosive force can only escape out the exhaust, so providing propulsion. The shutters then open to repeat the cycle. The series of small explosions gave it its distinctive sound. Presumable the ram jet was cheap to produce yet gave the V1 sufficient velocity for it to be difficult for fighters to catch it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back