New Build Gutters Keep Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is 5 years old so almost still a new buildo_O.
I have had quite a few issues with the gutters and roof. Leaking gutters and tiles flying off of the roof. Several issues have been dealt with by the builder through snagging in the past.

The latest saga is the gutters front and back are leaking in exactly the same area - right between my house and my neighbour's. I am on the right, end of terrace, they are to the left. The gutter keeps moving off sligtly in their direction which is creating a gap and water absoloutely pours through when it rains. The neighbours don't seem bothered by it but I am as it is messing up the flower beds and makes the walls so dirty and moist outside.

My friend is a broadband engineer so had a large ladder. We climbed up and he re attached the gutters where they have come appart - the fitting clamps to the two parts of the gutter together, a week later and warm weather, both front and back have come appart again, exactly in the same places. I am convinced this is a heat issue and the black of the plastic is heating and then cooling overnight which is causing this problem.

Can anyone suggest what can be done long term?
I contacted the builders who tell me as usual, it is not covered under warranty. It has not been right since day I moved in and several parts had been installed back to front on the down pipes which is making me wonder if there is further incorrect installation here.

Gutter.png

Sponsored Links
That gutter socket (union) should have a screw hole in the back to fix to the fascia - or make one ;)

You may find the gutter has expanded in the sunshine and moved it’s entire length, so head back to a corner and start from there.
I found with mine - which were forever parting- a self tapping screw kept them in check but of course they do need to expand somewhere so allow for that.
John

Sponsored Links
As per @cross thread looks short. Is there “play” on the other side? If yes, remove the bracket and move the union up and fit the bracket further back. If no, then you’ll have to add a bit of guttering or additional union.

Hello all, a quick update for you...
I have got a terrible fear of heights and thankfully last time, my friend with his ladders climbed right to the top and adjusted the gutter. He has been so busy, I have not been able to ask him.
I contacted a few local, highly recommended Roofing and Guttering companies. I have only had one respond so far, I sent them the image in my OP and a similar explanation. The response I got back was, that they can sort it for me, it would be £120 to sort it. It seems expensive to me but I don't know how much time may be involved and what parts would be needed. I was just surprised they could give me a price just based on that photo without even having a look or seeing the type of gutter (these gutters are quite chunky compared to normal ones as the pitches on the roofs are steeper than a usual house (perfect for a future loft conversion;))

I just wondered what you thought of the above price. Should I hold off and continue to wait for responses. The weather had been quite dry until recently so I want to try and get this resolved.

I have got a terrible fear of heights and thankfully last time, my friend with his ladders climbed right to the top and adjusted the gutter. He has been so busy, I have not been able to ask him.
I contacted a few local, highly recommended Roofing and Guttering companies. I have only had one respond so far, I sent them the image in my OP and a similar explanation. The response I got back was, that they can sort it for me, it would be £120 to sort it. It seems expensive to me but I don't know how much time may be involved and what parts would be needed. I was just surprised they could give me a price just based on that photo without even having a look or seeing the type of gutter (these gutters are quite chunky compared to normal ones as the pitches on the roofs are steeper than a usual house (perfect for a future loft conversion;))

I just wondered what you thought of the above price. Should I hold off and continue to wait for responses. The weather had been quite dry until recently so I want to try and get this resolved.
You are quibbling over a measly £120?

that is a fair price TBH< I dont like heights either and wont work up a ladder higher than about 4 metres. Think about it this way, if you were standing at the foot of the ladder looking up and you had a roofing guy standing next you, would you go up or hand him a £120 to do it??

If you go up and fall, and need time off work or heaven forbid have a life changing injury preventing you from work, the cost to you could be £500,000 over your working life.

what you need is for somebody to have a look at the whole run of gutter while they are there

the gutter needs to be cut as per the marks on the union -it should leave enough gap for expansion but only enough that if the gutter works it way to one side, the other side still goes past the rubber seal

Thanks guys, no need to take the ****. Some of us are struggling to pay our bills at the moment. Just wanted to make sure it was the right kind of price, I have no idea what these things should cost, that's why I asked and likewise, don't want to be short changing someone if they are providing an honest price, then fair enough. Give me a f@cking break.

Probably expanded in the heat and didn't creep back to where it came from .. if it's cur short slip another union in and a small screw through the union and into the fascia at one end . That way it can still expand but has to go back from where it cam from

Probably expanded in the heat and didn't creep back to where it came from .. if it's cur short slip another union in and a small screw through the union and into the fascia at one end . That way it can still expand but has to go back from where it cam from
Thanks, I got a company in, looks like they drilled the two together and siliconed it all to stop any further leaks. It has been a week and so far, no issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back