new business

When you firsty start up you can't be too sniffy about what you do... Landlords and "property developers" are the lowest forms of life but if it aint right, then cut it and cap it but be prepared for them never to call you again.. I hate gas fires but I'll still fit them... There are still a lot of BBUs about and they still need servicing and repairing..

Another aspect of working for your self that is easily overlooked is what happens when you are ill or injured... You don't work, you don't eat. I'm sure plenty of the self employed guys here have stories of crawling through a tight loft to finish a job to get payment whilst in total agony from a knackered back, you can't ring in and throw a sickie

Sponsored Links
Ha!.. I didn't say don't work for them..Just make sure that you are careful with them and take steps to ensure that you get paid... There is one group who I will not work for but to state who they are would leave me open to being accused of being a racist.

Accountants are a pain too, they seem to feel that they are exempt from paying VAT for some reason

There is one group who I will not work for but to state who they are would leave me open to being accused of being a racist.

No self respecting tradesman works for the people we all know you are talking about, totally untrustworthy and always wanting extra's done for free.

Sponsored Links
I dont but my mate does and always when its my job and not one of his . :evil:
In 8 years couple of days with flu and two lots of 3 weeks following operations but still earned few hundred quid a week due to nature of injuries and fact it was mates needing simple stuff done

I almost managed a full ten years without a day off, even kept going a few years ago when I caught Chicken Pox of a customers kid but an emergency discectomy in February has cost me at least two months this year and it looks like I'll need another one.... Fortunately I can find plenty of small light jobs to keep things moving along

Have you damaged your spine lifting boilers?

One of my trainees gave me serious doubts during training as he seemed so weak and was always going off to the doctors. He was 25 and a big fellow.

Three years later and be brought a vaillant T3 round and carried in in one hand as if it was cabin baggage!

To avoid the risk of back damage I only "walk" them!

Tony

Tony, The docs recon that the damage was done in my early 20s when I would be lifting big lumps of concrete and engine blocks. It appears that I had ruptured two discs. I have had back pain over the last 12 years which I simply assumed was my becoming an old git and normal. This all came to a head in February when whilst coring I discovered that my right leg had gone numb and I had no control over the ankle... I was up a ladder at the time.
It seems that one of the discs has fragmented and part of the disc was pressing against my spinal cord, hence the emergency... Boy did it hurt

That is a very risky operation as a small slip and the spinal cord can be permanently damaged.

I once has a lovely girlfriend who was a nurse and from lifting patients she had a very bad slipped disc. Some days she was writhing in agony on the floor.

She went for it to be operated on but when they did the preliminary blood test they discovered she had luekemia and she died about six months later.

She had a friend who had the same op and was virtually unable to work afterwards and never worked again.

Tony

You're not exactly being a ray of sunshine today Tony, I'm very sory to hear about your lady friend though

I do accept that my days of lifting cast iron boilers are over but it does give me a perfect excuse for me to avoid installs which I have never enjoyed doing anyway. I much prefer to service and repair and a fair few installers in my area send their repair work to me as they have less patience for such work.

I'm reasonably confident that I shall be pain free in the next few months but am most grateful that I have not ended up in a wheel chair, I have nothing but praise for the folk on the neurological ward at Hope Hospital in Salford. I'll be having another MRI later on this month to see what could be causing my current discomfort though If I need another op, I'd like it to be put off until the Spring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back