New ceiling light with existing dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Not sure if this has been posted before but can't find the answer.
I took my old ceiling light down but like an idiot didn't take note of where the wires would fit into the new light. It has a dimmer so there are 2 sets of 3 wires in the hole in the ceiling, red, black and green. No rose unfortunately.
I've checked out wiring diagrams online and whilst I don't know which set of wires is the loop to the dimmer and which set goes to power.
I think I've done it right, both reds are connected to each other with the black wires re connected to the brown and blue coming of the new light. All the earth's are linked. Can't get the thing to work tho, does that sound right? I've tried numerous combinations but no joy

Attachments

• 20220129_135657.jpg
    20220129_135657.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
It has a dimmer so there are 2 sets of 3 wires in the hole in the ceiling, red, black and green.
I don't know what a dimmer has to do with the number of wires.

I've checked out wiring diagrams online and whilst I don't know which set of wires is the loop to the dimmer and which set goes to power.
It doesn't matter if there are only two - except you will not know which Black is Neutral and which is Switched Live.

I think I've done it right, both reds are connected to each other with the black wires re connected to the brown and blue coming of the new light. All the earth's are linked.
Yes that is right.

Can't get the thing to work tho,
Have you perhaps swapped an incandescent lamp for an LED light with which your dimmer is not compatible?

Or have you screwed down on the plastic instead of the copper.
or has one of the wires snapped just inside the plastic insulation - it will feel very floppy?

Hi.
Thanks for your reply.
I was just giving as much info as possible re number of wires.
It is an older dimmer switch so it could be the dimmer switch. Tho I did get the light to work but they were permanently on so I assumed that bypassed the dimmer altogether.
Will try a new dimmer if you think the wiring is correct. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't my wiring before went through the effort to replace the dimmer.
Thanks for your help.

At your dimmer switch ,you could by pass it ,by connecting the live feed directly to the switched live. That would bring the light on permanently. If it does, replace the switch. If it doesn't it's a wiring issue.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, have done that, albeit by accident and the lights were on permanently so at least I know the power connection is good.

Not not touched the actual dimmer switch at. It worked perfectly fine with the old light so assumed it was my faulty wiring. It appears however that it may be the dimmer which may not be LED compatible.

Quite possibly it is the dimmer ,doing as I said in my first post would confirm it is the dimmer.

If that involved both blacks and both reds connected to the light, then the dimmer has been destroyed.
Yeah. It did unfortunately. Guess that's another wiring job that could possibly go wrong. Tho I'll make sure I record what wires go where this time.
Mind might possibly be on here again in a few days.

Hi all. In case your interested it was the dimmer that had blown. All working now. Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back