New consumer unit ?

I didn't think they were cut-outs, I thought they were dirty marks.

However, I think the wooden bases may have been noticeably larger than the plastic fronts - so I am now leaning towards it being all plastic...
The bases are bigger than the front, the wooden are bigger than the pastic versions.
There were different versions of the plastic base, either a light brown colour or cream /dark brown to match the front and different mouldings over the years.
Those are knockouts
upload_2021-7-28_11-29-56.png

as per this 3way:
upload_2021-7-28_11-22-50.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hope the consumer unit polarity is OK as the Live from the meter is connected to the Neutral side of the isolator.

It was, and Smith and Thatcher had a falling out, today not called Rhodesia.
I know I used to live there, I think you may be confusing Southern & Northern Rhodesia, I do not recall copper mines, plenty of precious stones, coal, asbestos. Thatcher became PM May 79 , prior to this the bush war had been going on since 72, Smith went in June 79

Edit, I am not denying there was copper mining but fairly small scale compared with Northern Rhodesia

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hope the consumer unit polarity is OK as the Live from the meter is connected to the Neutral side of the isolator.
if it's any help the neutral terminal is on the left, so it should be fine as long as the tails don't crossover inside the fuse box.
upload_2021-7-28_20-14-17.png

None the less, a strange thing to do and what about anyone who might follow, assuming the markings on the isolator are correct with the cables?
Yes I agree it is strange, however I understand how, IME a majority of devices are neutral on the right and if not marked that's in all probability how I'd wire it.

HOWEVER let's look at this more sensibly and make the statement that the neutral should be on the right, especially if the isolator were mounted the right way up. :oops::whistle:

The Feed to the isolator should enter at the top shouldn't it.
Indeed - but, as Sunray implied, only if it's mounted the correct way up! You can see that from the fact that the load side (should be at bottom, but is at top for the OP) has a removable cover to get at the connections, whereas the supply side doesn't.

One can see why ('convenience'-wise) they mounted it upside down, but the main problem with doing that is that it means than "down is ON".

Kind Regards, John

Indeed - but, as Sunray implied, only if it's mounted the correct way up! You can see that from the fact that the load side (should be at bottom, but is at top for the OP) has a removable cover to get at the connections, whereas the supply side doesn't.

One can see why ('convenience'-wise) they mounted it upside down, but the main problem with doing that is that it means than "down is ON".

Kind Regards, John
It's a switch, it doesn't actually matter which way the feed enters and the input is at the bottom in some applications. These enclosures are reversable to accomodate it too.

It's a switch, it doesn't actually matter which way the feed enters and the input is at the bottom in some applications.
Sure - but, as I said, what does matter is installing it such that the switch is the right way up (regardless of which way around the enclosure is, or which sides of the switch are used for supply and load) - since, if the switch is 'upside down' (as per OP's), then "up is OFF", which is all wrong for an isolator.

I have, in my time, heard people arguing that the supply should always go to the moving contacts of a switch, and others arguing that the supply should always go to the fixed contacts - but I don't know if there is any sensible basis for either of those (obviously contradictory) arguments.

Kind Regards, John

I have, in my time, heard people arguing that the supply should always go to the moving contacts of a switch, and others arguing that the supply should always go to the fixed contacts - but I don't know if there is any sensible basis for either of those (obviously contradictory) arguments.

My best guess, would be that the live side should go to the smallest amount of metal possible for safety, in case the switch suffer physical damage.

Sure - but, as I said, what does matter is installing it such that the switch is the right way up (regardless of which way around the enclosure is, or which sides of the switch are used for supply and load) - since, if the switch is 'upside down' (as per OP's), then "up is OFF", which is all wrong for an isolator.

Kind Regards, John
I agree it should be the right way up, but why is it incorrect for the isolator to up off? (Generally, not just this situation). How would one know which bit moved and which bit doesn't?
I found this on t'internet:
upload_2021-7-29_13-12-7.png

Does this imply the feed goes in the bottom?

I would say no.

If they had put LLLN on the top as well, someone would ask why and say what else could it be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back