New Course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I attended a Deaf Awareness training course the other week as part of my CAB training. The person giving the training was deaf and had a deaf interpreter speaking for him.

I found it absolutely amazing the speed of how the intepreter did his job and have enrolled on a sign langauge course.

Anyone know much about how long it takes to get proficient and if you know anyone in this line of work? :D

Sponsored Links
b if you still have sues (my ex wife ) phone no give her a call she is right into it with the bairn

if not PM me and i will try and find it for you ;)

A friend of the family interprets sign language for courts, social services, police, etc, etc.

She's in demand, and makes a very good living. She used to be a bus conductor years ago (remember those?), but got into it so she could comunicate with a deaf aunt. Liked it so much, she went professional.

I use a few signs when I'm driving. I think they are all deaf. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I gave a young deaf and dumb lad a job a few years back but sadly it didn't work out. Although he was a hard working lad it was just too dangerous, I almost had a nervous breakdown trying to keep him safe :cry:

I did try to get my head around signing but just didn't have the time to get to grips with it.

wouldn't that be ASL then Kev? or is the bairn still over here?

I'd really like to learn it too, but I reckon it would be the same as with any other foreign language you learn, if you don't use it regularly then you don't get proficient at it and fgorget a lot of it.
after all how much of your school french or german do you still remember?

If, like some of the above poster or their relatives, you have someone in your life that is deaf or hard of hearing then you have the opportunity to practice your skills.

Back