Speed awareness course or take the 3 points?

I don't recall being penalised by the insurance company for three points, they waive them, especially for speeding, as everyone speeds. They tend to ignore. If you got three points for drunk driving, they would penalise you I think.

But a course, that you are too busy to attend, that will teach you like you a child, I think would drive you mad.

You learnt the lesson, take the hit. 3 points are nothing.

Not true.... Do a simple test. Do an online insurance quote thingy for having no points, then do the same application but add the 3 points for speeding and see how much your insurance goes up.. These days the insurance companies will use every opportunity to bump up premiums.

Sponsored Links
Roofline, do the course, I was caught out via a speed camera in the summer time and have just done my 3hr driving course. (telling off)

If you take the points it will affect your insurance!

Andy

I will have to agree with Mickymoody this time. 3 point can be negligible in regards to insurance. I have added and removed points from online quotes and they didn't change the price at all.

But best to go for the course. The points stay on the licence for 3 years and you don’t know when you decide to put your foot down the next time :).

I will have to agree with Mickymoody this time. 3 point can be negligible in regards to insurance. I have added and removed points from online quotes and they didn't change the price at all.
Yea me too and no change to the premium.

Sponsored Links
Some people get away with it :mrgreen:

speed-camera-heroes-1-1.jpg

speed-camera-heroes-3-1.jpg

speed-camera-heroes-2-1.jpg

speed-camera-heroes-4-1.jpg

When i put 3 points on for sp50 it puts the quote up by 30 quid on a 300 quid quote .Thats on confused ,com and all the quoting companies prices change.

I'd take the course.

You can choose to do it at a number of different centres (I live and got caught in Cheshire, but did my course in Greater Manchester because it was nearer).

You can only be offered the course if you have a clean licence, so if you were to take the points this time then you wouldn't get the option next time and would have to take the points then as well. 3 points on your licence might not make much of a difference to your insurance, but if you get up to 6 then it will definitely start to!

I don't recall being penalised by the insurance company for three points, they waive them, especially for speeding, as everyone speeds. They tend to ignore.
I think thats maybe the case when you're already with them but shopping around for new quotes might be a difference story, we are all supposed to tell our insurance everything! A few years I was hit at the back and cut a long story short the company driver has 9 points and didn't tell them therefore took a long time for the claim to settled because in theory the driver was not insured on paper :eek: I still don't understand it

Not that this helps, but I was done for 88mph in a 65mph zone in Sarasota, Florida, on my way back to the airport.

I got emailed (technology :) ) the ticket once I was back in the UK, which was some figure for being bad, plus some other figure for each MPH over the limit. Long story short; $288 fine.

So, Christmas Eve, I phone the Sarasota Sherrif's Dept from Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, an-island-just-off-the-west-coast-of-Yoorup.
15 minutes of complication later, as I try to explain to the very pleasant lady that my Visa card is registered to a part of the planet that does not have a US zip code...

Then she says "well, the fine is $288 but you get $100 off if you volunteer to attend a drivers' education class". Me; "nah; I'm not going to do do that - I'll pay the $288, thanks".
Her response was "well, they run the classes at the weekend, if that helps?".

I paid the $288.

When i put 3 points on for sp50 it puts the quote up by 30 quid on a 300 quid quote .Thats on confused ,com and all the quoting companies prices change.

I think I got an sp30, for speeding, and as I say, it was back in the day. I presume an sp50 is not speeding? So maybe the rules changed, anyways, two people agree with me, I've been there, done that, and my insurance didn't change.

OK I just checked, SP30, is driving on a public road, easily done, SP50 is speeding on the motorway, something completely different, that would rise the bar.

Driving at 36 in a 30..SP30, generally ignored, driving well over 70 on a motorway, SP50, gets punished, but probably below 100.

It's your choice, you say you are busy, they blah blah on, show you dead bodies, and car crashes...or 3 points..whatever.

I got done in Cheshire - doing 33mph in a 30mph limit. I really thought I would not get 'done'.

What happened to the 'plus 10% and add an extra 2mph' allowance we use to get?

I got done in Cheshire - doing 33mph in a 30mph limit. I really thought I would not get 'done'.

What happened to the 'plus 10% and add an extra 2mph' allowance we use to get?
I remember a trial carried out by topgear by Quentin Whats-his-name many years ago before the current version of the program. On it they used a correctly calibrated trundle wheel to determine the accuracy of car speedometers. Needless to say they found a huge discrepancy (one car's speedo stated 36mph when the real, calibrated speed was 30). My own car tends to up-play it's speed, so that my speedo saying 30 is - according to several speed reminder cameras - in reality 26.

So it may well be worth trying to check the accuracy of one's speedometer since you may have been travelling at 30mph in good faith that the instrumentation that you use is correct whereas in reality it is way off the mark.

Which begs the question as to how liable car manufacturers really are, or indeed should be.

Car speedos are deliberately designed to over-estimate the speed of the vehicle rather than under-estimate it.

Under-infalted tyres is the main cause of speedo inaccuracy, and will always make the speedo read higher than the acual speed - although swapping wheels and tyres for a different size without re-calibrating the speedo will also make a hell of a difference, and usually cause the speedo to under-read!

Sponsored Links
Back