Speed awareness course or take the 3 points?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got caught doing 77mph on the Nat Speed limit A38 dual carriageway at 11pm on a Sunday morning 2 weeks ago.

I've got a clean license and have been given the option to attend a speed awareness course 20 miles away in Staffordshire. If I attend then the 3 points are waived and I just pay the £60 fine.

I'm snowed under with work and can't really afford to take the day off (if I had stuck to the limit then this wouldn't have happened, I know...)

Has anyone been on one of these courses? I may just take the points. Clean license for 5 years now, do they come off in 3 years?

Sponsored Links
Do the course MW. You can only do it once in a two year period.

They do them Saturdays and in the evenings in my neck of the woods - I know from experience.

Points on your licence can also affect your insurance premium. You dont declare doing a speed awareness course.

Do the course MW. You can only do it once in two years.

They do them Saturdays and in the evenings in my neck of the woods - I know from experience.

Points on your licence can also affect your insurance premium. You dont declare doing a speed awareness couse.

Saturdays and evenings? great, cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Looking at the driver improvement websites it looks like the 2 year limit between doing courses has now been extended to 'offenders' only being able to do the course once in a THREE year period :cry:

Do the course MW. You can only do it once in a two year period.

Thought it was 3 yrs.
Far as i know they give you a date/time, not your choice.

Yep - just clocked that :cry:

But you choose the date and time to suit you. The times are set but you can choose am, pm or evenings, or Saturdays. But you have a time limit in which you can do the course, something like 2 to 3 months from being offered the opportunity to take one.

If you're bothered about having to pay more for insurance etc then do it.

Prepare to be patronised & very bored.

was that with a fixed camera?? Mobile traps and cars won't prosecute usually under 85mph.

Probably better to do the course. I was caught some years ago driving over the limit for alcohol (41 mcg instead of 35 mcg) Got a years ban ,,, but this was reduced to 9 months if I did an alcohol awareness course.. Probably one of the best courses I've ever been on. Cost a couple of hundred quid, but has saved me a lot more in insurance premiums

Learnt a lot off the course too and now limit myself to 1 pint whenever I'm driving.
( I know some on here are completely against drink driving , but all I will say, is) ... Do you think your DRUNK after only 2 pints? Do you feel ok after only 2 pints??

If you answered No to question 1 and yes to question 2, ...... then beware, you risk being banned for a year. ;) ;)

I don't recall being penalised by the insurance company for three points, they waive them, especially for speeding, as everyone speeds. They tend to ignore. If you got three points for drunk driving, they would penalise you I think.

But a course, that you are too busy to attend, that will teach you like you a child, I think would drive you mad.

You learnt the lesson, take the hit. 3 points are nothing.

I got 3 for speeding...sent my license off...then got pulled again for speeding, infuriated at the car in front doing 20mph in a 30, put my foot down, speedgun. 51 in a 30, late at night, nothing around...The copper said was that you that we chased last night, but couldn't catch? No! He asked for my license - sorry, you have it already! Now expired, but not renewed my license, so points still show, but invalid.

I got 3 for speeding...sent my license off...then got pulled again for speeding, infuriated at the car in front doing 20mph in a 30, put my foot down, speedgun. 51 in a 30, late at night, nothing around...The copper said was that you that we chased last night, but couldn't catch? No! He asked for my license - sorry, you have it already! Now expired, but not renewed my license, so points still show, but invalid

How long ago was that?

Sponsored Links
Back