Speed awareness course or take the 3 points?

Sponsored Links
The point is, irrespective of the speed on my speedo, they 'did me' for doing 33mph on THEIR calibrated equipment.

I still feel hard done by.

The point is, irrespective of the speed on my speedo, they 'did me' for doing 33mph on THEIR calibrated equipment. I still feel hard done by.
Rightly so, if that is the whole story.

I'm not doing an mm on you here, but I did hear somewhere (although it might be a myth :confused: ) that minor misdemeanours such as you report are not penalised every time but are recorded until a number of infringements is reached, at which time a penalty is issued. If, and I admit that it's a big if :oops: , this is indeed the case, then inaccurate calibration of your speedo may play a bigger part than you imagine.

Inky Pete's post indicating that manufacturers tend to overplay speed would be lovely to believe. However, the original small research carried out by Top Gear (albeit it probably a decade ago) suggests that this is not the case.

Inky Pete's post indicating that manufacturers tend to overplay speed would be lovely to believe. However, the original small research carried out by Top Gear (albeit it probably a decade ago) suggests that this is not the case.

On the contrary.

I remember a trial carried out by topgear by Quentin Whats-his-name many years ago before the current version of the program. On it they used a correctly calibrated trundle wheel to determine the accuracy of car speedometers. Needless to say they found a huge discrepancy (one car's speedo stated 36mph when the real, calibrated speed was 30). My own car tends to up-play it's speed, so that my speedo saying 30 is - according to several speed reminder cameras - in reality 26.

If Top Gear found that a car moving at 30 was indicating 36, then they did indeed find over-reading of speed rather than under-reading.

Sponsored Links
It would of course have been helpful if my original post had the figures the correct way round :oops: The car stated 30 but the calibrated speed was 36. Honest guv!!

Vehicle contruction regulations state that speedometers must have an accuracy in the range -0%>+10%. So they must NEVER under-read when manufactured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer

In addition, the Association of Chief Police Officers have guidelines that state a leeway of 10% +2mph should be given before prosecution.

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_Home/Rules_useage/The_Law.htm

But they are only guidelines, and various overzealous police forces (North Wales in particular) have a tendency to disregard them.

I defer to your greater research into the matter then. Many thanks for making the effort to qualify your claims :)

No one should be prosecuted for 33 MPH thats within the limits of accuracy errors.

Always interesting to compare the speedo reading in your own car with the readout from a satnav.

Every car I've ever tried it on has over-indicated speed by about 5mph at 70, and about 2 or 3 at 30mph.

Surprised that you were zapped at 77.

As I understand it in Staffordshire (and most other places AFAICT), the rule is 10% + 2mph, above which prosecution takes place.

So, 70mph + 10% + 2mph = 79mph.... :confused:

Still, I would weigh it up. Tell your ins. co. you have fallen foul of a fixed speed cam. and you have that option: if you don't take it, will they up your premium?

As the numbers of drivers with points on their licences has rocketed, most car ins co.'s allow at least 3 points before loading a premium.

I was done near Litchfield, where a 50 goes to 40. The sign on my side of the road was obscured by foliage and I missed the one on the other.

I took the course rather than accept the points.

It was a bit patronising, but not as much as the one I took years ago in Lancashire.

There, we had to go out with an advanced driving instructor first, who marked our driving skills, rather severly, I might add.

Then we had the best part of a day in the classroom.

Then, we went out with the advanced driving instructor again.

Those who showed no improvement in driving skills and attitude ended up as if they had not attended the course: ie with points on their licence.

Luckily, I passed, but others did not... :cry:

Car manufacturers are never held liable, as they have to engineer the car so that the actual speed is never more than the displayed speed.

If this does happen, it's usually down to a dodgy mod. carried out by the owner like the wrong wheel size.

If this does happen, it's usually down to a dodgy mod. carried out by the owner like the wrong wheel size.

The user manual for my car, states tyre pressures for the basic model, and the same is stated on panels on the door shuts.

As I didn't buy a basic model, I got the GT version, with larger wheels, with a lower profile tyre fitted. That information is incorrect, and immediately renders the speedo to be inaccurate. I don't think Toyota were irresponsible to fit aftermarket wheels to their car, as sold.

Mickymoody Do you have the correct user manual?
As one will have several pages referencing to modifications as fitted.

Try turning the page :D

Sponsored Links
Back