New Gas Fire spillage test Help

No, he thought it as fine.

The old fire passed ok last may . . .

If we were to get the flue swept & inspected, is it expensive?

I am still puzzled by the difference of opinion between gas fitter & BRITISH GAS

Sponsored Links
TBH I would never fit a gas fire to a chimney that had not been swept. If the old fire had been in for 19 years I would imagine that there could be a fair amount of crud in the chimney. As G4U has said, spiders webs can cause major problems to the flue flow. Precast flues are notorious for causing problems particularly with regard to the care used during construction, i.e. were all the snots (cement mortar used to join the sections together that get squeezed out into the flue) removed?

The fact that your old fire was OK is irrelevant as it is no longer being used and we don't know what make/model it was. Also, one assumes the new fire was suitable for use on precast flues? Some aren't.

I won't get drawn into a discussion as to the difference of opinion between BG and your independant as it will end in tears. ;)

so it sounds as though it would be beneficial to have the flue surveyed and if any probelms have them rectified. We were going to cap it and have electric fire , wish we bloody had now :)

Don't know where you are, but I think a chimney sweep around my way is about £30-£40.

Sponsored Links
Down here there about the same and its a condition with a gas fire install from us that the chimney has to be swept,

And how do you sweep a proper precast flue, if we are talking proper pre cast

I've dropped a nail on the end of a bit of string down and used this to pull a larger rope through with a rag tied to the end. Had to do it due to the damp cobweb problem.

Had dismantle part of precast to drop lump hammer or couple of 1 inch union elbows tied on to washing line to knock fangs off.
Amazing what a cob web will stop even on a class 1 chimney

I also find it amazing that a load of cobwebs look absolutely nothing in the palm of your hand after removing them :eek:

Hi

Just a quick update - not much further forward!

Winther Browne Suggested test again after running fire for 20 mins.

Our Gas Chap tested it running for 20 mins with a CM censor also.
He got the same result, spillage from the very edge. He then decided to open a window, same result.
The censor detected no CM

we contacted winther again and they said they Don't actually manf the fire they are just a brand and gave us the MF details but they say verbally that its just heat reflection and normal but unless the MF will state that in writing our gas fitter will not sign it off.

Flue checked all ok

How frustrating!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back