New gas hob installation problem...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a new gas hob fitted. Expected it to have a flexible hose, like a freestanding one, so there would be a touch of leeway for it's positioning.

The fitter has used all solid pipework but didn't bother (or wasn't able) to get the hob dead centre of the hob backsplash, the extractor fan above it or the cupboard drawers below it!!!

Now I realise it may be just a cm 'out' but it's glaringly obvious that all the surrounding 'hob' furnishings line up nicely but the actual hob sits more to the left. Doesn't quite sit dead square either if truth be told.

When I said "can't it move a touch to the right so it lines up properly" his short answer was "no".

Were my expectations that it would be pretty much perfectly 'in line' unrealistic, with any difference imperceptible? This doesn't seem so to me, particularly when you are on the other side of the kitchen and can see the drawers don't line up directly beneath it like they should.

It could definitely sit dead centre in the quartz top hole prior to the fitting, so the problem isn't with the cutting of that.

Sorry if I sound like I'm being pedantic or too picky - but this kitchen was a lot of money, not from B&Q/Ikea etc

Sponsored Links
Who supplied the hob?
What is the work to made of?

Yes it should be square. But.

Depending on the position of the aperture in relation to the new hob is in the won't place the you might have had a gap in the worktop.

If it is a brand new kitchen them the installer has dropped a *******.

The hob must be connected with copper.

Post a picture from underneath showing the gaps around the hob and the gas connection.

I suspect the worktop required further cutting to accommodate the gas fittings and the installer didn't make you aware (since most owners won't pay for the return visits).

I've been down this route before and had the worktop fitters back several times to grind out sufficient clearance.....and of course it costs the homeowner considerably more.

Are you sure the hob would sit dead center before..with equal clearance on the left and right hand side? How is it secured in the quartz?

This is a granite worktop!

The installer cannot "just chisel out" the worktop to enable the gas connection to fit with the hob central to the hole.

With an angle grinder and diamond blade he could spend 30 minutes and gain a little extra space but probably did not think that was covered by a £75 connection fee.

To be honest most hobs are not well designed at the gas connection point.

I sometimes get over the problem by using a little 10 mm tube.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for comments. Bosch glass hob.

Quartz fitters made absolutely sure the hob fit comfortably, & centrally before leaving - they put the hob in to check.

Fitted, there is no room to move it at all to the left, the underside of the hob butts right up to the cut underside of the quartz. On the right side (where it needs to shift over) there is about 3/4" space before the hob underside would touch the cut quartz.

Gas is back, right side with an elbow joint taking it into the neighbouring cupboard with about 14" of copper pipe before reaching the key, then another elbow joint through the rear of the cupboard to the gas supply.

Kitchen designer says all the guy needed to do was have the professional courtesy to centre the hob properly, make sure it was sitting 'square', then cut the length of pipe accordingly. They are going to tell the fitter to return and do the job properly, if he refuses they'll send an alternative Corgi fitter to do it and pay themselves.

I should have taken my cue from his fitting of our new sink/tap. When I asked why the tap 'wobbled' he said it was a cheap sink, stainless steel too thin to take the weight of the tap. Actually it was because he fit the tap support supplied UPSIDE DOWN so it was providing no support whatsoever!

Dismantled, turned over, reinstalled - wobble free......by us, not by him (extremely easy job it was to).

At the end of the day I didn't buy a flat pack from B&Q, the designer is furious - 2 areas of work for this guy and neither done properly.

Appreciate views/comments though.

If the gas pipe is free from the edges of the work surface then as stated all it will need is a longer pipe of pipe.

I was thinking that perhaps the gas pipe was fouling the edge of the work surface. If not then he has been less than clever!

Tony

The installer is a waste of space.

Yesterday, I was fitting a radiator when my phone rang, and distracted me from measuring the centre of the window properly, result - rad 1 inch off centre :evil:

Guess what? I took it off and moved the brackets so that it was precise.

My mistake but I put it right because I take a pride in my work

If the cut in the work surface is as per the dimensions in the manual, then sure, get the installer back. If the cut is oversized and hob rattles about in the cut, then I would talk to the kitchen fitter.

3/4" gap is FAR too big as far as cutout is concerned

If you invited the installer to plum the hob- he has done so. If you asked him to fit and plumb, well then you will need to discus the matter with him. To centre the hob would not have taken the fellow long.

Have NEVER had any issues fitted multitude of hobs and have never had to use 10mm pipe- always 15mm copper even when there is an oven slotted in under the hob.:D

Things like this make me wonder how some self employed gas engineers make a living. I rely on word of mouth recommendations and the repeat business that arises from this. The time it would have taken him to put it right would have been about five to ten minutes. I take absolute pride in my work and unless I have completely satisfied myself and the customer then I would redo it. Get him back to sort it out.
He was right to use rigid pipework though. Although some manufacturers will allow a flexible hose if there will be nothing to move or rub against it. What a cowboy!

Quite so but there are many people who are quite rude and unhelpful to their customers.

We dont know who he is so nothing here will detract from his reputation.

When I worked there was this decorator who upset one of our secretaries because he TOLD her what she needed in her kitchen. I knew exactly what he was like because he lived next door to me! Morose would describe him well.

Luckily he is no longer there now but I dont dare asking the wife what has happened to him!

Tony

I expect the OP here is really called "Saga Lout" but every time I see it I think that it is "Sag Aloo" as I am so fond of Indian food. ( Spinach and potatoe )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back