New indestructible mobile phone required - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so as the subject lines says, I am in the market for a new mobile phone and need some advice and recommendations. More specifically I need recommendations from other builders, or at least people who are up to their necks in sand, cement, insulation and other general dust all the time.

I keep getting my mobile phones full of fine dust that gets between the contacts of the sim card so I then have to do a clean, and then gets under the keypad which can't really be cleaned, and also gets in the speaker which means I can't understand anything that people say on the phone to me because it's distorted... and occasionally my phone gets dropped in water but I don't expect to find a waterproof phone.

So which do I go for?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
For a 'lo-tech' solution, perhaps you could keep the phone in a sealed poly bag when you are at work? I am not sure how well the speaker or mic would work though, but might be worth a try - a long as you don't mind being laughed at by your mates :p

nokia do rubber jobbies. I always prefer the clam shell type, and dont go for a slider! i just carry mine in my pocket, and they always seem to be covered in crap as well. longest lasting was a nec one i bought off of ebay. i normally get an upgrade phone and keep the old one as a standby just in case. My current motorola razr is lasting well. finish is scratched to pieces, and ive cracked both the front screens but it has a sealed keyboard and ive not had to open it once to clean out the insides!

If you get a water proof one it'll be dust proof, I used to know someone who had one, so they are out there, try googleing ''water proof phone''. and I bet you'll find one.

Sponsored Links
I had a nokia 5100 for a while which is the rubber coated dust resistant jobbie, it seemed pretty tough to me, and stood upto regular building site abuse.

This is my current work phone which ive had for about 18 months:

phone.jpg
phonebk.jpg

what happens when you need to type an M, N or O in a message? Or indeed, dial the number 6?

I have tried various manufacturers over the years, but always ended up back with Nokia, now I don't use anything else, I currently use an N70 is a rubber case..carephone warehouse and others do them..

I have had it about 12 months now and it takes abuse reasonably well..

I've just dumped my N70 as I didn't like the phone itself, It took the abuse well, but the screen is so scratched it is difficult to see anything.

shenks said:
I keep getting my mobile phones full of fine dust that gets between the contacts of the sim card so I then have to do a clean, and then gets under the keypad which can't really be cleaned, and also gets in the speaker which means I can't understand anything that people say on the phone to me because it's distorted... and occasionally my phone gets dropped in water but I don't expect to find a waterproof phone.

So which do I go for?

A heavy duty condom rolled over the phone and knotted will keep out all dust and water.

Buy a cheap Nokia (20 quid, no more). Make sure you can remove the covers for cleaning. Don't need anything else for work, just something to talk into.

I have several old cheap phones:Nokia 1100, 3330, 3410, and one new one: Motorola C261 (camera phone for 19,99!).

Funnily enough, I haven't busted any of them (hence the increasing collection), but wouldn't care if I did!

Maybe if I had a posh one, I'd break it on the first day at work...

My old nokia 6210, been dropped from fair heights, bashed, end even thrown against a wall and it was still going, bit "bulky" by todays standards but was solid, the only thing that broke was one of the little clips holding the 2 hapves of the phone together - easily fixed of course.

bernardgreen said:
shenks said:

So which do I go for?

A heavy duty condom rolled over the phone and knotted will keep out all dust and water.
Its like having a bath with your socks on though ;)

Sponsored Links
Back