New light fitting and Energy saving lamp

thank you very much for the advice given, and I will have a look for RS Components, should I install these components in only the fittings that flash?

and one final question, I have used energy saving lamps for a number of years, why has this suddenly come to light do you think? if you will excuse the pun!

thanks again.

Sponsored Links
There is no point in fitting them in fittings that do not yet flash but maybe have a couple of spares just in case a replacement lamp is prone to flash.

Some of the original lamps were properly designed and did have a snubber built in just in case they were needed. Then the need to reduce costs took preference over quality and this meant the snubbers were dropped from the design or made so small ( cheaper ) that they would not cope with the trickle of energy from long switch cables.

The item ( PMR209 ) is designed for PCB mounting and has short bare leads. I sometimes solder leads to these make installation easier. The leads need to be sleeved

RS components is not the only source and there are sources that supply the similar capacitor resistor network with fully insulated flying leads. These cost more but are ( often ) easier to install

bernardgreen, and everyone, thanks you for your last response, I think I can consider my original question well and truely answered, I'm very gratefull.

thanks

I've got a similar problem to this. Having just fitted a Timegaurd Security light switch to 5x 240v 3w spots. When the switch is in the off position two of the lights remain on and flicker. I was wondering if the RS production that you mentioned would solve this issue Bernardgreen? Also you mentioned an alternative product that was wired and easier to fit do you have any details of this?

Many thanks,

Devs ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back