New Oven delivered, refused installation

Seems to me that some/most of these installers aren't even qualified electrically. British Gas have a load that raise issues whilst checking boilers

Sponsored Links
Sorry john, it is a question, which i would appreciate clarification on, however, i am happy to ponder as i have the time.
I'm still not clear as to what it is that requires, or may require, clarification.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Wow. The fact the delivery driver is prepared to put such nonsense in writing is just staggering.

At the risk of sounding like BAS it really is time to pursue the company for incompetence and make them install the appliance or pay for an actual electrican to do the job and compensate you either way for the inconvenience.

Does the stove come with a plug?

What is the standard or range of branch protection device used on a UK stove?

Maybe these are stupid questions but I am having a hard time understanding why a new residential stove will not simply plug into something existing.

Does the stove come with a plug?
Small ovens do.

What is the standard or range of branch protection device used on a UK stove?
Usually a 6mm² cable and 30A fuse or 32A MCB.

Maybe these are stupid questions but I am having a hard time understanding why a new residential stove will not simply plug into something existing.
When you say 'plug in', we only have 13A plugs in domestic properties.
If you mean 'connect to the circuit' then, yes, it should have been a straightforward job.

Let me ask a slightly different question then.

The Cooker is " plugged " into the kitchen ring then?

What I find hard to understand is how you could wire a modern UK kitchen on a 32 amp ring.
You must have other dedicated circuits?

My stove is plugged into a Nema 14 50 ( but protected by a 40 amp breaker because that was the original breaker and this is acceptable by the CEC rules ).
Alternatively I could have hard wired it to the 40 amp CB with AWG 8 and removed the factory plug.

Also on their own circuits are my fridge ( dedicated circuit rules for this appliance as well as microwave and dish washer ).

32 amps at 240 volts is a considerable amount of power mind you.....
( can I assume you also have a rule to the effect of no more than 80% load factor on a circuit there too? ).

OK New World Website states 40A fuse size it does not actually say if this fuse is the minimum DNO fuse size or consumer unit fuse size?

The PDF instructions state an isolator of 32A so clearly the consumer unit could not have a fuse larger than 32A. It shows both single and three phase options for wiring and states maximum load 8500W at 220 ~ 240 volt so 35.42 amp.

Had the paperwork stated 30A fuse fitted 40A required then maybe one could have stretched it and said OK. But the manufacturer does not anywhere state it requires a 32A fuse and we all know with diversity there is no problem what so ever with a 30A fuse so it is completely unreasonable to refuse to fit due to the fuse size.

Let me ask a slightly different question then.

With respect.
Your questions have nothing to do with this thread
Your questions have no relavence to UK electric installations

PLEASE take your questions, as a separate topic, and post them on the Electrics OUTSIDE the UK Forum.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=9

Otherwise this will all get sidetracked.
Thank you

Guys - get a grip. ... This is an APPLIANCE - it is 100% irrelevant what is going on in the actual fixed installation from the POV of "am I allowed to install this?".
I disagree. It seems perfectly reasonable for them to refuse to install an appliance if aspects of the fixed installation are such as to affect safety relating to the appliance. One can obviously debate how far that should go, but, for example, I think it would be reasonable to refuse to install if the fault protection of the available circuit was significantly inadequate, and certainly if there were no earth continuity at all.

Kind Regards, John

The Cooker is " plugged " into the kitchen ring then?
No - it is neither plugged in, nor connected to a ring final.

What I find hard to understand is how you could wire a modern UK kitchen on a 32 amp ring.
You can't, entirely, unless you have very few major appliances.

You must have other dedicated circuits?
Unless you have a gas cooker, which only needs power for an igniter and a light, you would have a dedicated radial circuit for an electric cooker, or an electric hob. A small oven, or a small dual-fuel cooker with a gas hob and an electric oven might be able to be plugged into a socket circuit, although the whole issue of plugging loads >2kW into rings is contentious.

A particular problem in the UK is that, as you can imagine, there are a lot of products sold here which are either designed by "mainland" European manufacturers like Bosch, Neff, Miele, or aimed at that market, where their sockets are rated at 16A, so ovens in the 3.5 - 3.7kW range are common, which causes problems for being on plugs here.

My stove is plugged into a Nema 14 50 ( but protected by a 40 amp breaker because that was the original breaker and this is acceptable by the CEC rules ).
Alternatively I could have hard wired it to the 40 amp CB with AWG 8 and removed the factory plug.
In the UK no domestic appliances are supplied with any plug other than a BS 1363. It it can't go on one of those it will always (well, 99.999...% of the time) be hardwired. FYI, here a 40A cooker circuit could support a 25kW beast.

Also on their own circuits are my fridge ( dedicated circuit rules for this appliance as well as microwave and dish washer ).
No such rules here, but personally I think a dedicated circuit for F/F is a good idea.

32 amps at 240 volts is a considerable amount of power mind you.....
7.68kW. A lot for a laundry appliance, or microwave. Plenty for a cooker, even a large multi-oven one, after diversity is considered. Not really enough for a shower.

( can I assume you also have a rule to the effect of no more than 80% load factor on a circuit there too? ).
No - our requirement is that the design load must be ≤ the rating of the breaker or fuse which in turn must be ≤ the current carrying capacity of the cable. So we could have a 32A load on a 32A circuit using cable rated at 32A.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/http://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:MCBtoCable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back