New System Saga Continues-Gardtec Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The saga continues

As some will know I am trying to install a new alarm system

I got a fourth company out yesterday and was impressed with this chap-although admittedly all the support and advice I learnt on here probably helped me to have a more useful conversation
His quote is in the same ball park as the others and I will probably go with him

HOWEVER

He fits GARDTECS

And I know from previous discussions that LV and Breezer do not rate them (LV -I still shudder when I see that photo of a turd you posted :LOL: )

I explained my misgivings to the alaram fitter about Gardtecs but he thought they were good etc etc

HELP !

What do i do-are they bad enough to make me go elsewhere?

I have now decided against a monitored system but am going to get a system fitted that will cope if I ever decide to go down that route

I am going to get an auto dialler instead to call me so that I can then contact friends or whoever if I cannot get home swiftly

Sponsored Links
horses for courses, i just dont like the guard tec, he does, i think the gurdtec is a cheap piece of junk

go back to the other companies and ask for no monitoring

Thanks, the problem(?) is that all the companies here in Glasgow seem to fit either galaxies or gardtecs (mainly because they are manufactured in Scotland I suspect)

The difficulty is that the alarm companies don't seem to offer a choice of X, Y or Z-they only seem to concentrate on one panel type which to an extent is fine because hopefully it means that they are familiar with the subtleties of it but I would still have thought that they would be able to offer a choice of at least one ar another panel ?

The gardtec is a cheap piece of junk. Between the two systems imho no contest would go down the galaxy route. Much more versatile and future proof more reliable than gardtec. The choice is yours. Good bet with the auto dialler btw.

Sponsored Links
galaxy has built in texting (g2 does)

but as for company offering choice, how many should they offer, 2 6- 10?

as you assumed if they fit one (and its variants) all engineers should know how it works

I spoke to the last quote chap who runs a nacoss gold firm (a smallish firm I think)
He still firmly believes that gardtec can do all that galaxy panels can and says that the gardtec has an advantage because it is an LCD panel and not LED. It is also he syas more user friendly

I really am conflicted-I liked this guy, he seemed to play a pretty straight bat but when I asked him to consider a galaxy he said he would do it, but not recommend it.

Is gardtec really that bad ?

from what you have said i would say the bloke hates galaxy, he does not know them, which is why you should not let him near one.

i say he doenst know them because galaxy do not make an led keypad

i beleive i posted a picture before for you, but here it is again

rkp.jpg

this is a galaxy rkp, only led is sight is the one at the bottom (not shown) and the ones that light the buttons (cant see them lit in daylight)

ok, yours may not have the coloured buttons

Thanks again Breezer- I do remember you posting that picture

I think I am back to the second company who suggest a galaxy-the guy tells me that they are not keen to "allow" the auto dialer/texting option as they prefer the monitored route but he has agreed they would set it up to allow for texting

Nothing in life is ever easy is it !! :LOL:

ask the installation co and yours could look like that too (although they usually put thier name there)

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to having an auto/speech dialler as opposed to texting?

I don't have that many friends locally that I can rely on to hold prox tags for a monitored system but would like the facility that I can ring around various people if I am alerted to the system going off

Which would be better?

your choice :cry:

option 1 texting

you receive a text teling you which cct has activated

you then have to phone friends etc

friend doesn't like phone call @ 02:00 gives you abuse

phone no on / no signal text comes through later

option 2 speach dialer

it phones friends

doesnt have to take abuse

doesnt say which cct went off

phone no on / no signal text comes through later

as i said its your choice, My sheds have neither, i dont want to know if my alarm has gone off i want to enjoy my time away / not have to worry about it

Im thinking that my reasoning is that :

I don't want monitoring at this stage-by the time the police come(if they come) the burglar will be long gone

The texting/phone option at least lets me decide whether to call friends and if so who do I call-presumably you can switch the option on or off for it to call so that if I am abroad and don't want to worry about it then it can be switched off

not that easy.

in either case you will have to reprogramme the phone numbers as (nothing)

(mind you nevr tried the txt option on a galaxy :oops: (like i said, i don't want to know)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back