News of the World

i never read news papers but i do get second hand ones to leave in the corner of the room for the ferrets to have a dump on, ta least they have the right idea

Sponsored Links
bolo said:
What is it that makes a person buy rags.

Back in 1971 when I was in the sixth form (that's years 12 and 13 to you young-uns) newspapers were provided in the upper sixth common room. There was a fair selection, ranging from the Sun to the Financial Times - which was highly prized for its ability to mop up spilt coffee. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: The Sun was also highly prized, not because it contained anything in the way of news but because it was our best chance of learning just a little bit about sex. It seems laughable now but those of my age and over (like bolo) will remember - or maybe wish they didn't! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: To put you all in the picture, it was a boys school and sex education was non-existent. :( :( :(

So, do old habits die hard? Are there people out there who bought that rubbish in their youth and just kept on doing so? :?: :?: :?: That doesn't really explain it. The Sun is surely just the newspaper version of the junk magazines that have proliferated for longer than I can remember: Hello, OK, Heat, Now, Closer --. I could go on; they're all over the hospital waiting room. They're also all over the radiographers' rest room, which suggests to me that it's mostly women that buy them.

There's a curious fascination out there about what other people of no great importance are doing. Why? Are the readers so utterly bored with their own lives that they have to follow somebody else's? :( :( :( Even my mother-in-law - who is hardly a child of the sexual revolution - reads the NOTW every week to see who's been 'having it away' with who else. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think there are two kinds of readers: those who want to emulate their dubious role models and those, like mother-in-law, who collect 'awfuls' and 'disgustings' so that they can complain about them. And then there's kids --

When I was young we had comics. :) :) :) Our kids have never bought a single comic but one of them is an absolute sucker for junk mags. He's also a soap addict - but surely soaps are just junk mags in video form. I heard not so long ago that many children no longer watch traditional kids' programmes. Is this good or bad? I don't know. Maybe I'll start a thread on it. :idea: :idea: :idea:

the advertisers will withdraw en masse

I didn't think that it would happen today even though Ford suspended advertising in the N of the W yesterday. Today many other companies have withdrawn ads.

Well spotted mate! My son is 16 (and my daughter is 14)! I also have 3 other daughters aged 46, 48 and 50. I have a wife who is 48 and an ex who is 71. Having said that, as far as I know, none of them have ever bought the News of the World or the Sun. Why? I really dont know. What is it that makes a person buy rags. Because father and grandfather bought them or because for some people in our society, like going to the bookies, the tabloids are part of a way of life. Regardless of the answer, I believe that sooner rather than later, the readership will rebel, (just as they did in Liverpool), the advertisers will withdraw en masse, and the News of the World and other such publications will become history.

PS By the way Matt1e, it might interest you to know that this will probably be my last post on the subject. Not, I may add, because I have a terminal disease, but because tomorrow we are off to Florida for a couple of weeks. And yes, we are going to the theme parks, and yes I will be enjoying the white knuckle rides. At least I hope I will - I enjoyed them 2 years ago. However, I must be absolutely honest and admit that having such a great time at my age, has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I don't read the News of the World :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

my kinda fella!
there's hope for me yet
enjoy your hols mate

Ps I just noticed you're from my neck off the woods too

Sponsored Links
Lets be honest about it anybody who reads this rag or the daily rag the sun are the ones who are not the sharpest tools in the box.........and after what has happened I hope the rags go under

:LOL: You also remember H+E ...Parade..Harrison Marks :mrgreen:

I heard not so long ago that many children no longer watch traditional kids' programmes. Is this good or bad? I don't know. Maybe I'll start a thread on it. :idea: :idea: :idea:
Its definitely good. I dont think I'd want my kids watching Zingzillas (or any other programme with a name not even translatable into any language). The point is, kids TV just isnt any good now. What happened to rugrats, postman pat, thomas the tank engine, power rangers? They are spoonfed crap by the BBC and itv, and they even have to tune to a specific channel now! Time was, 3:30 to 5pm was the kids slot on tv. Now we have back to back come dine with me, neighbours etc.

What the hell is a zingzilla anyway??? :rolleyes:

What a load of crap, CBeebies is largely excellent for the age group its aimed at.

Mr Tummmmmmmmble! :LOL:

When I was a kid the early black and white kids programmes were on a Saturday...Then along came the great God football...

another low point hacking phones of dead soldier familys lets hope army decieds to make news of their own by shooting them

Unless I've missed something, I don't think it was News International journalists that hacked dead soldiers' phones. They were paying private investigators for information and it was the PI's that hacked the phones. I'd like to think that the information they were given would not have been used.

Having said that, NI is not entirely off the hook. They should have taken a lot more care about where their information was coming from and how it was obtained. Is it not a golden rule of journalism that you verify your sources? :!: :!: :!:

Last Edition on Sunday apparently..

Good Riddance!

What's the betting it'll turn into the 'Sun on Sunday'?

Sponsored Links
Back