NHS woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands

"Number of UK nursing students plummets despite NHS shortages

Low wages and student debt worries are believed to have undermined applications, putting workforce plan in doubt"

"The UK government’s once-in-a-generation plan to expand the NHS workforce has “stumbled at the first hurdle” following a sharp drop in acceptances to study nursing at university this year, the Royal College of Nursing has claimed.

Finalised data from university application service UCAS showed a 12 per cent drop in acceptances for nursing in the UK compared with 2022, leaving the government far adrift of its targets for boosting nurse recruitment to address shortages in the NHS.

Under the NHS Long Term Workforce Plan for England, nursing training places need to increase 65 to 80 per cent above last year’s levels to meet 2031 targets
."

FT.com

Who could have seen that coming?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Not aimed at the OP, aimed at the world. I get fed up with all the utter rubbish that's spouted by most politicians about numbers of this group and that group. It's all just smoke and mirrors and usually means very little.

We've invested x million to recruit 100,000 more of these people over the next 5 years.
Yes but because you cut funding over the last 5 years there are now 50,000 less of those people in that industry!

Blah blah blaaaaaaaah.

The government has contributed to its own failing targets by grinding down the morale of nurses and not giving them fair pay and recognising their contribution during covid. All in the context of politicising the nhs for decades.

Blup

Not aimed at the OP, aimed at the world. I get fed up with all the utter rubbish that's spouted by most politicians about numbers of this group and that group. It's all just smoke and mirrors and usually means very little.

We've invested x million to recruit 100,000 more of these people over the next 5 years.
Yes but because you cut funding over the last 5 years there are now 50,000 less of those people in that industry!

Blah blah blaaaaaaaah.
Don't forget the "we've invested record amounts in.....blah blah"
Of course they have, it's called inflation!

I can see a number of differing aspects to this.

Ideology - simply put, Tory SOP / mantra / dogma is to pare down public services ("more efficient" if you're that way inclined; "run down until privatised" if that's your belief).

Realism - ever-expanding the service is expensive (ultimately, "unaffordable"?)

Cynicism - Parkinson's Law; the more people you employ to do work, the more the work expands to fit the people employed. So, the people are then "too busy", so more need to be employed.
C.N. Parkinson's was a light-hearted comment on expanding bureaucracy, but has lasted through the truth that lies within it.

As usual it is always difficult to know what to beleieve - but this from a nurses web site is interesting

How many Registered Nurses are there in the UK?​

There are 731,058 Nurses on the permanent NMC register in the UK as of March 2023.

This is up from just over 700,000 the previous year.

The total number of people on the NMC permanent register is 788,638. This includes Nurses, Midwives, and Nursing Associates.

This is up from just over 750,000 in 2022.

numbers from previous years taken from the same nurses web site.
2013 - 675,000
2014 - 680,000
2015 - 686.000
2016 - 692,000
2017 - 690,000

So are they really leaving in droves, and can we really not recruit.
Why is the NHS in such crises, Is it more unhealthy people needing more treatment, or do nurses just not work as hard ? I would love to know the real truth but in this world of smoke and mirrors that is not always possible.

Report on the news about one consultant covering emergency medicine in some hospital

He is on 3 grand per shift ?? ( a day)

( BBC radio 4 )

So take it up with the BBC

I am rest assured that whoever I vote for "THE NHS IS SAFE IN OUR HANDS".

I’ve not read it but, is it the torries or brexits fault again ?

Why is the NHS in such crises, Is it more unhealthy people needing more treatment, or do nurses just not work as hard ?

We have an aging population. As people grow older, they have more ailments, more severe, that last longer (often for life).

We have an aging population. As people grow older, they have more ailments, more severe, that last longer (often for life).
You'd think that someone could design a virus that targetted that demographic !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back