NICEIC Domestic Installers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been to three jobs today where NIC DI's have struck.

At all of these jobs I was carrying out a basic inspection.

The first had bonding for water miles from the cock, and a board with RCD incomer & no paperwork. The seals on cutout & meter were broken & there was no Comp Cert for the DNO.

The second had 4mm² gas [listed on the EIC as 10]. The EIC listed the ring continuity as 0.28 for phases & 0.29 for CPC. Shouldn't the cpc figure be much bigger??

The third job had a PIR listing no ring continuity for any of the rings - one of them was broken on the CPC. And the EFL for two of the rings exceeded the limit. Also, there was rubber cable evident.

But on the PIR the installation was "satisfactory" and work to be carried out listed as "none".

Where are these guys coming from??

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
NIC DI doesn't allow PIR, only 2391 does allow PIR- doesn't it / isn't that right :?:

I hate it when this happens, we all end up getting tarred with the same brush :mad:

Not all us NICEIC DI's are crap, some of us do take pride in our work :D

NIC DI doesn't allow PIR, only 2391 does allow PIR- doesn't it / isn't that right

The NICEIC would like all nic DI's that undertake domestic pir's to register & pay a fee to undertake pirs & use the niceic Domestic pir certs, I dont know what the prerequisite quals are that they want, but I'd hope 2391 was in there some where
Personally I refuse to pay more towards what I see as a money making scheme, especially seen as have C&G2391 that shows I am competant to undertake pir's so it's the green nic or IEE down load certs for me :cool:

Lets hope it's one of the jobs that the NicEic come out to assess

I couldnt agree more.

Just out of interest securespark what pir certs did they use green or purple ?

The 2391 is basically a qualification for someone who is already has good knowledge of inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations. It is imo, not really a starting block for anyone to start doing PIRs.
Similarly I don't think it is a rule that an electrician must have the 2391 to do PIRs, the electrician needs to be competent. The 2391 may help towards proving their competency.

securespark said:
The second had 4mm² gas [listed on the EIC as 10]. The EIC listed the ring continuity as 0.28 for phases & 0.29 for CPC. Shouldn't the cpc figure be much bigger??

Around 1.67 times bigger assuming 2.5/1.5.

You should report these idiots to the NIC (assuming they actually give a damn?).

The colour of the report? Actually, thinking about it the one with the excessive Zs was red & black on white. Must have been NIC proper I suppose. But the other was a purple EIC. The third had no paperwork...

I had a word with my Tech manager today - he reckons those figures could be legit if there's supplementary bonding somewhere artificially lowering the figure??

The one with excessive Zs's was filled in by computer. Surely the software would flag up the fact that the entered EFL figures exceeded the IEE maximum?

comms said:
I hate it when this happens, we all end up getting tarred with the same brush :mad:

Not all us NICEIC DI's are rubbish, some of us do take pride in our work :D

I understand and agree Comms, this week I have encountered many JIB app contractors whom dont know their r's from their elbow.
There are good and bad contractors in all aspects of work.
Crack on and keep up your standards mate.

Ed.

Spark123 said:
The 2391 is basically a qualification for someone who is already has good knowledge of inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations. It is imo, not really a starting block for anyone to start doing PIRs.

I absolutely agree, 123. The majority of new 2391-ers (and I'll be encountering a score of 'em next week) are nowhere near ready to be let loose, but I suppose it's a start.

I've heard someone say they plan to dumb down 2391 :( (Of course not sure how reliable the source is, but I wouldn't be too supprised)

OT: Ding, can you drop me an email to the address in my profile please :)

Adam_151 said:
I've heard someone say they plan to dumb down 2391
I have just recently done the 2391 at the start of the course bout 10 months ago now the lecturer said that because of certain colleges letting two people test the big board together and other dodgy stuff that C+G have really tightened it up. Suffice to say that only one lad got through. The subsequent resits were pretty tough as well managed to get pass the theory waiting for my practical results :(
It wouldn't surprise me if they dumb it down a little just to improve the pass rate.

Dont bank on it Rob, sometimes it looks like they take pleasure in how many dont get through. That means 2391 is passed by people who understand the process of Test and Inspection at a reasonable level.

Lets say they lower the pass mark to 60%. How would you THEN feel if someone came to survey your house and missed 40% of the problems.

Have alook at the C&G Chief Examiners Report at http://www.city-and-guilds.co.uk/documents/ind_construction_electrical/2391-101-ce-report-200702.pdf

It will tell you the pass rate and the areas where people fall down. Fascinating reading!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back