Night versus day driving risk

It doesn't really matter what anyone's personal feelings and experience might be. As Freddiemercury'stwin says, it's just done statistically. Accidents at night will cost them more money, overall, so the premiums will be higher for people who do a lot of it.
Insurance has no way of knowing when the majority of motorists drive, insurance is based on number of hours you are expected to be behind the wheel.

Sponsored Links
The gadgets which log your driving, for insurance purposes, to decide how good/bad a driver you are - apparently they mark you down if you do much night time driving, because there is an increased risk of accidents at night. That is very much at odds with my own experience...

I've always found night driving, to be a much more relaxed experience than during the day - much less traffic on the road, almost no delays, and what there is, is much less frantic generally. If I have any long distance drives to do, I have always try to do them during the night hours.

No I don't have such a gadget - having one fitted would make no difference at all to the cost of my insurance, because my driving record is impeccable.
And your source of info for this?

And your source of info for this?

It was some BBC consumer type program I was watching. They were saying the gadget logs when you drove, and increased the premium if you drove much, after dark.

My point was, that I come across much more dodgy driving during the busier times of day, than I ever come across at night. Less busy, fewer people risking pulling out into your path without looking properly, you can see oncoming headlights for miles on country roads.

I tend to be able to remember dodgy driving incidents during night driving, because they are so very rare. I remember coming across a truck driver, coming at me on the wrong side of a dual carriageway, a young deer being flung up into my path, by a lorry I was following.

Daytime incidents are so many, so regular, they become just a blur. The last person I taught to drive, I taught with night driving, on quiet roads, during the early hours. They had paid for numerous lessons, and failed to make any progress, overwhelmed by the mechanics of driving and dealing with busy day time traffic. Empty roads, made it easy to grasp the mechanics of handling a car.

Last edited:
Insurance has no way of knowing when the majority of motorists drive, insurance is based on number of hours you are expected to be behind the wheel.

Don't you think acccident reports detailling times will be an excellent way of evaluating relative risk ?

Sponsored Links
Don't you think acccident reports detailling times will be an excellent way of evaluating relative risk ?
That info just providers details of accidents , not info on driving habits which are of no interest to insurers .
They only access on risk, that’s time expected to be on road .

That info just providers details of accidents , not info on driving habits which are of no interest to insurers .
They only access on risk, that’s time expected to be on road .

Well, you know, I think that an accident claim which lists both the accident, and details of the accident, forms an excellent basis for assessing risk when combined with thousands of other claims listing when accidents occured, don't you ? This discussion is, after all, about risks of driving daytime/nightime which is clearly ble to be determined by analysing the stated times of accidents.

Well, you know, I think that an accident claim which lists both the accident, and details of the accident, forms an excellent basis for assessing risk when combined with thousands of other claims listing when accidents occured, don't you ? This discussion is, after all, about risks of driving daytime/nightime which is clearly ble to be determined by analysing the stated times of accidents.
If I drive 99% of the time during the day and 1% at night but have 3 accidents at night it give completely false information about the risks of night driving.

And insurers don’t access risk on accident rates .

If I drive 99% of the time during the day and 1% at night but have 3 accidents at night it give completely false information about the risks of night driving.

And insurers don’t access risk on accident rates .
Sorry, but I think your post is nonsense. If you have all your accidents at night, it shows - irrespective of proportion day/night driving - that night driving is far more risky for you.

Don't assess on accident rates ? What is it then , how many followers on Tik-Tok ?

Sorry, but I think your post is nonsense. If you have all your accidents at night, it shows - irrespective of proportion day/night driving - that night driving is far more risky for you.

Don't assess on accident rates ? What is it then , how many followers on Tik-Tok ?
Car Insurance is not based on accident rates , purely on time expected to be on the road and therefore at risk .
Not sure what your Tik-too reference is? Off your meds?

Now that this thread appears to have switched from the original subject to risk assessment I'll just say this ..

I've been driving for 60 years & owned/insured my own vehicles for 58. During that time I've had both ridiculously expensive quotes for what I perceive to be low risk cover & conversely low quotes for higher risk vehicles .. as a result I no longer even attempt to figure out what goes through the underwriter's mind, just go to a comparison web-site (y)

Sponsored Links
Back