Nitrous oxide

bobsp said:
I had my last on my Mondeo ST200

Was looking at your website, nice car. The design of the alloys looks very similar to the ones on the new ST220's, are they the standard ST200 ones?

Disappointed that you didn't have any pictures showing the nitrous gubbins though! Where were the bottles mounted?

Sponsored Links
The point is Bob that the programme did not show an ST200 fitted with this kit. Quite clearly your car was originally designed as a performance car by ford when it was manufactured, The various components brakes/tyres/suspension etc, are already of superior design/quality and are therefore more able to cope with these mods.

We were talking about an ordinary family car and it is under this context that I made my comments.

Being time served with 30years plus experience in the motor trade, I am aware of the purpose of engine oil. I also know the diference between a worn out engine and a con rod hanging out of the block too!

Your remarks about odd plant life do not help, to reduce a friendly discussion between interested people to that level is uncalled for, it also debases an otherwise sensible debate.

Regarding this forum, I presume it is open to all. Are you saying for example, that if Ferrari's chief engine designer wrote to this forum his comments would be stupid because he was a newcomer?

Finally do you by any chance make a living out these products?

Good Luck, Dave

PS on a seperate note congratulations on your new arrival.

Dave,

Firstly sorry if I offended anyone. That was copied from another forum I use. I should have read it again properly, as it was not specifically written for this board. Apologies.......

The pictures were taken as my insurance company requeted them when I said it was modified. The NOS was not fully installed then.

NOS is fine, as said the most engine ware occurs at high RPM, NOS work at low to mid RPM creating more Torque...........diesels are good for that. There was a programme on just before xmas comparing NOS in petrol cars to that in diesel.

No I make nothing out of it either, other than a big grin every time. It was mounted in the boot, where the spare wheel went.

If your car has not very good brakes/suspension/exhaust system/tyres, upgrade them, that can all be changed for better parts. Manufacturers have to keep costs low in order to sell the cars, they put bits on that will do the job, safe etc. In most cases there are better aftermarkes parts available, may cost a little more (in some cases, as dealers load parts so much) but can offer far superior quality.

Now lpg in cars, that is another debate............

Uprated aftermarket parts CAN be cheaper than OEM. A classic example is the old MG Metro, where drilled and grooved brake discs were about half the price of the factory items.

Main dealers do charge over the odds for most things, the advantage of buying manufacturer-approved mods is that you know they will do the job and you will not invalidate your car's warranty.

Can't wait until some of the MG XPower owners start treating themselves to all of those MG-approved mods: 940bhp including the factory approved nitrous, I believe!

Sponsored Links
any of you guys that have had nitrous fitted (now or in past) let me know where you can buy the stuff at a reasonable cost?
I know i can post off my bottle to various tuning companies etc & they will fill it but the cost of poatage is as much as a refill!
If these guys can get a big bottle for refilling purposes then how come its so difficult to get the gas compasnies to supply? i have tried BOC, air products, & its "no thanks, we dont want your money!"
Refill kits are available online at less than £50 so SOMEONE must be suppling the large cylinders to SOMEONE!
misssmouse :mad:

Despite the valuable finding made by Davy, that inhalation of nitrous oxide could relieve a conscious person from pain, another years would elapse before doctors attempted to use it for anesthesia.

I like nitrous oxide in medical applications :LOL: I also like my engines to last - but then I'm old :confused:

Peter

Although I'd be slightly worried about increased engine wear (say what you like, but if you're getting more power, the pistons MUST be pushing on the rods, bearings and crank harder!), I'd be more worried about the drivetrain. Again, it depends how well-specified that is. If you've got the smallest power output of the range that is fitted wih a common gearbox / diff / driveshafts & CV joints, then you might be OK. If, on the other hand, you're near the top limit of what it can cope with, you might have problems.

Brill post, Mr. Avocet.....
'Get your diesel chipped! 240 BHP instead of your lowly 110!'
Presumably the dual mass flywheel / clutch / transmission is at the owners risk.
John :)

and this it what happends when you get it wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mstreet44#p/a/u/2/x9wC_N9VkoI[/QUOTE]

doubt that would have bothered him much. if you put that much money into a four pot then it should be no surprise when it pops.

a mate had an RS turbo with all the bells and whistles a long time ago, zetec, cossie management blah blah blah, it killed itself many times. it shot 6 foot flames out the exhaust without a flamer kit though. :D

Presumably the dual mass flywheel / clutch / transmission is at the owners risk.

There's a story doing the rounds that VOSA intends to make 'illegal engine ecu modification' an MOT failure in the near future.
VOSA admitted that the MOT tester has no practical way of checking if the original ECU has been remapped, so it's down to the tester spotting any piggyback unit hanging off the wiring harness.

Of course what that means for the dozens of companies selling ECU remaps or how you'd insure a car that would be an MOT failure is still an unanswered question.

and this it what happends when you get it wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mstreet44#p/a/u/2/x9wC_N9VkoI[/QUOTE]

doubt that would have bothered him much. if you put that much money into a four pot then it should be no surprise when it pops.

a mate had an RS turbo with all the bells and whistles a long time ago, zetec, cossie management blah blah blah, it killed itself many times. it shot 6 foot flames out the exhaust without a flamer kit though. :D

was my mates car.

spark plug had been damaged and melted, it stopped reving then popped.

There's a story doing the rounds that VOSA intends to make 'illegal engine ecu modification' an MOT failure in the near future.
VOSA admitted that the MOT tester has no practical way of checking if the original ECU has been remapped, so it's down to the tester spotting any piggyback unit hanging off the wiring harness.

Of course what that means for the dozens of companies selling ECU remaps or how you'd insure a car that would be an MOT failure is still an unanswered question.

They'd LOVE to do this - and have been trying for years! Unfortunately, as you say, it's spotting it that's the trick! What's more, the car manufacturers would help them if they could.

When a car has it's type approval tests, it does a MUCH tougher emissions test, with the engine under load on a rolling road. The MOT emissions test is a walk in the park by comparison. Most of these "chips" that improve power would also fail the type approval emissions test and, of course, invalidate the engine warranty. The manufacturers do it themselves up to a point. The (say) 110bhp and 150bhp versions of the same engine are often nothing more than a "chip". The difference is that they do the emissions test on both (oh, and they charge a lot more money for what is, in effect, a "chip")!

Im sure that if they could find a way of spotting "chips" quickly, cheaply and easily, they WOULD make it an MOT fail. It's just a case of making that happen - unfortunately! That said, they've been talking about it for close on 20 years, so I don't imagine it will happen tomorrow!

Sponsored Links
Back