No diplomatic status for Eu!

Germany is owed a Trillion by the southern EU countries which it knows it will never get back, I used to be of the opinion that the eurozone would probably survive, Germany needs it to survive, by jettisoning the southern eu countries.

Loads of countries owe lots. Interest rates have been adjusted to suite. Eg ours are still affordable. maybe more than they were. Personally I feel their would be a lot to gain by writing it all off but trying to get many countries to agree would probably be very difficult. War debt was handled by very long pay off periods.

Foreign investors are becoming nervous about the euro because it's not a nation state currency, and the realisation that the whole project is propped up by an insolvent bank buying the bonds of an insolvent government.
What's new. They are always nervous about something or the other - according to some. Fact the only places with any real money are all in the East

Maybe that's why they had to sign the investment pact with China.
Good grief so well informed. It's down to a side effect relating to keynesian economics. It's loosely goes don't worry about imports as the exporter will get more and more money and will need to invest it and will do so in their export areas. They are. An example from the past when Japan was doing it - an american friend was disgusted that a jap owned his favourite baseball team. Sounds familiar? Buildings and all sorts come into it. There is talk of a China state owned company buying one of our chains that have gone bust. One already owns MG. Maybe football clubs at some point. A little snippet for you

In July 2020, China's foreign exchange reserves totalled US$3.15 trillion, which is the highest foreign exchange reserves of any other nation.

;) The UK has some too and for some reason it's been increasing. Also increasing

European Union Foreign Exchange Reserves was measured at 315.7 USD bn in Dec 2020

Sponsored Links
No perks though; not much of a draw for the wannabee diplomat(y)
Hmm, you have a point.

Perhaps there is a way countries can send their representative to another busy foreign capital for essential face-face talks. We could agree to give those people a sort of waiver whereby they are immune from prohibitive obstructions, that would otherwise make a vital diplomatic journey unfavourable.

Perhaps mottie needs to think this through....

Hmm, you have a point.

Perhaps there is a way countries can send their representative to another busy foreign capital for essential face-face talks. We could agree to give those people a sort of waiver whereby they are immune from prohibitive obstructions, that would otherwise make a vital diplomatic journey unfavourable.

Perhaps mottie needs to think this through....
Countries already can. The EU is not a country. Despite this, EU representatives when travelling here on official EU business are already exempt from quarantine so what other prohibitive obstructions can you envisage?

Sponsored Links
what other prohibitive obstructions can you envisage?
Diplomacy needs to continue through times of turbulence as well as times of peace. An envoy that is conveying classified or sensitive information also need assurances from his foreign adversaries that he is safe to do so unmolested.

Diplomacy needs to continue through times of turbulence as well as times of peace. An envoy that is conveying classified or sensitive information also need assurances from his foreign adversaries that he is safe to do so unmolested.
That’s alright, we'll let him bring his ham sandwiches over unmolested. :sneaky:

I'm sure those that have vital information to share with the UK, will be thrilled.
Phone call, text, email, snail mail, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook......you don’t need full immunity to share information. By the same token, I wouldn’t expect any U.K. EU ambassador to have diplomatic immunity when in the EU.

you don’t need full immunity to share information.
As I have said, some important diplomatic exchanges can only occur face-face. You obviously seem to think the UK can do without that.

Stupid and right wing are eternally entwined.

As I have said, some important diplomatic exchanges can only occur face-face. You obviously seem to think the UK can do without that.

Stupid and right wing are eternally entwined.
But why would they need immunity to come over here for a face to face exchange? Are they going to send over a child molester or a murderer?

Phone call, text, email, snail mail, WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook......you don’t need full immunity to share information. By the same token, I wouldn’t expect any U.K. EU ambassador to have diplomatic immunity when in the EU.
All hackable.

But why would they need immunity to come over here for a face to face exchange?
Diplomatic mail is secure.

But why would they need immunity to come over here for a face to face exchange? Are they going to send over a child molester or a murderer?
Immunity is a blanket cover given to diplomats to protect them in times of conflict (or other adversarial conditions that would jeopardise impartiality) so that the messenger is protected against the recipient country doing something dastardly - like imprisoning said messenger etc.

It is a by-product that they get away with other criminal offences.

Sponsored Links
Back