No Gas..

No. I'm still here. Rental agreement says I am responsible for all bills, but the contract is not applicable to a HMO, but a house. It also says responsible for council tax which we do not pay.
The tenancy agreement should indicate if said agreement forms part of a HMO or not. Does it state anything around this? Or does it explicitly state the tenancy isn't HMO? One way or the other, even if it's administratively wrong, it should state HMO or not HMO.

Whatever you do, regardless of how skilled you are, DON'T start mucking about with the services. If something goes wrong and/or if your 'handywork' is discovered, you could find yourself in some relatively deep poo-poo.

Sponsored Links
One resident was made to take it in his own name, collecting £40 from each of us a month. My contribution is part of my £70 p/w (£303 paid direct to landlord) and he reduces the bill payer's rent by £40. Apparently, there is £1200 odd owing. It seems he hasn't paid for the last 18 months. His excuse is that the landlord hasn't gave him my share and another lad hasn't paid as he was responsible for the water bill The water bill is also in the name of the non paying person. Knowing the water can't be disconnected, it seems the water has never been paid. The landlord refuses to accept any liability.

I was told that it was then to be put in my name. I did apply, but it was disputed. I was quoted £172 a month. A couple of days later, I received an email from Octopus Energy stating the Gas would start from a zero balance on the 3rd in my name (Not the electricity). Another lad said he would call up EDF with the landlord and the landlord could 'force' EDF to release the account. But that I was to take on the gas. I told him and to tell the land to 'go phuck themselves. not my job' and I cancelled the gas. It remains off since 30th August. He received a text saying the electricity was to be disconnected on Mon 27th Sept, but it's still on for some reason.

Funny thing is, he is still popping round to collect rent. So it seems lad has collected £3500 in rates and stuck it up his nose as stinking out the house with weed. He hides every time he sees me or the old man. It's causing so many arguments in this hell hole.

Looks like candles and mince pies for Christmas.

The thing is EVERY post in spare room includes ALL bills including WIFI.

I pay £36.99 a month to Virgin for internet, and others use it, I don't charge them.

Sponsored Links
I'm just looking through spare room just now
Rightmove lists rooms as well as properties.
Gumtree worth a look and if you have a local Nextdoor, Kettering website then that is also free to post your own Room Wanted ad.

One resident was made to take it in his own name, collecting £40 from each of us a month. My contribution is part of my £70 p/w (£303 paid direct to landlord) and he reduces the bill payer's rent by £40. Apparently, there is £1200 odd owing. It seems he hasn't paid for the last 18 months. His excuse is that the landlord hasn't gave him my share and another lad hasn't paid as he was responsible for the water bill The water bill is also in the name of the non paying person. Knowing the water can't be disconnected, it seems the water has never been paid. The landlord refuses to accept any liability.

I was told that it was then to be put in my name. I did apply, but it was disputed. I was quoted £172 a month. A couple of days later, I received an email from Octopus Energy stating the Gas would start from a zero balance on the 3rd in my name (Not the electricity). Another lad said he would call up EDF with the landlord and the landlord could 'force' EDF to release the account. But that I was to take on the gas. I told him and to tell the land to 'go phuck themselves. not my job' and I cancelled the gas. It remains off since 30th August. He received a text saying the electricity was to be disconnected on Mon 27th Sept, but it's still on for some reason.

Funny thing is, he is still popping round to collect rent. So it seems lad has collected £3500 in rates and stuck it up his nose as stinking out the house with weed. He hides every time he sees me or the old man. It's causing so many arguments in this hell hole.

Looks like candles and mince pies for Christmas.
Not been paid for 18 months and you're only finding out now? Something fishy going on somewhere.

As for the landlord, landlords broadly speaking fall into one of two categories. Those that do stuff above board and try their best to ensure everything's in order for their tenants And those that don't. Maybe doing them an injustice, however it seems yours possibly falls into the latter category.

Hi mate,

sorry to hear of your problems.

firstly, try to get documented (email, text, etc) that you’ve paid your share of the bills to the landlord. Just to prevent any recourse later.

secondly you can get essentials broadband for £15 a month from virgin if on benefits.

thirdly, give the non payer a good hiding.

fourthly, ask for payg meters to be installed.

fourthly, ask for payg meters to be installed.

It sounds as if there is only one e, one g supply and pair of meters, so a PAYGo wouldn't help their situation. Really, each supply would need to be separate to each flat in the house, so each was responsible for their own consumption.

I'm surprised a landlord could get away with passing communal bills to his tenants to pay, I am equally surprised that the tenants would simply cough up their contribution without ensuring the bills have actually been paid. A very strange arrangement indeed.

The OP ought to be making sure he gets a contribution towards Internet use too, by changing the password every month and not handing out the password unless they have paid up.

Payg isn’t ideal, but even making everyone pay for the week (for the single meter) means that it’s near impossible for a massive arrears to build up.

Unfortunately it means they will pay more.

I think the landlord should collect from all with the rent, and then the meter can be paid/topped up from there.

Landlord visited today. Will not pay in his name as he doesn't live here?

He's making the payer call up EDF and say that he's moving out so another resident can put in his name as a bill or PAYG. I refused to put it in my name. I looks mlike we will be on PAYG by the end of the week...

It sounds as if there is only one e, one g supply and pair of meters, so a PAYGo wouldn't help their situation. Really, each supply would need to be separate to each flat in the house, so each was responsible for their own consumption.

I'm surprised a landlord could get away with passing communal bills to his tenants to pay, I am equally surprised that the tenants would simply cough up their contribution without ensuring the bills have actually been paid. A very strange arrangement indeed.

The OP ought to be making sure he gets a contribution towards Internet use too, by changing the password every month and not handing out the password unless they have paid up.
Depending on how above board the whole setup is (both the renting out of the actual property itself and the robustness (or not) of tenancy agreements) you'd be amazed what landlords can get away with.

Speaking from experience, when landlords offer all bills included in the rent, then some folk set the heating to max & adjust the temps using windows & doors.

God knows what they do with the leccy. Can you bottle it & sell it down t'pub???

Landlord visited today. Will not pay in his name as he doesn't live here?

He's making the payer call up EDF and say that he's moving out so another resident can put in his name as a bill or PAYG. I refused to put it in my name. I looks mlike we will be on PAYG by the end of the week...
I don't think that's an absolute prerequisite tbh, broken record, but all of this should be clearly laid out in the tenancy agreements.

Who is responsible for the bills of a rental property | The Tenants' Voice (thetenantsvoice.co.uk)

You get landlords that offer their properties/rooms via agents such as Your Move, Martin & Co etc. Both the landlord and tenant are vetted. Not saying these agencies are perfect however there's a degree of structure and legal compliance.

Then you get 'landlords' that offer properties/rooms via small ads or word of mouth. No real checks either side. Not saying that's always bad, these agreements no doubt often work and suit both parties. However when they go wrong ...

Sponsored Links
Back