Not happy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had four days off this week, two as paid holiday. Now im going to get . . . none. :cry:

Whats happened is that I'm being moved to a new store. Brand new. Its still a building site. Opening date is 11th Dec. So me and a manager are arranging the recruitment of 12 staff in a former mining town/village. No easy task. All applications through job centre. 25% of the applicants were made redundant by a glazing firm that recently went bust. Why the job centre sent us them I dont know - why would they want work in a convenience store? And I bet another 25% of applications are from those that only apply for jobs to continue recieving JSA. (Its that kind of area)

So my first day off - today - was spent in a meeting with the area manager and two store managers. I appear to have been made in charge of training.
Tomorrow I'm going to a store close to the new one, to help with interviews, and perhaps do a couple myself (never done it before) and arrange more interviews for next week.
Wednesday I'm meeting with the area manager to discuss training arangements for these 12 new staff.
Thursday I'm doing something unrelated for work, which I didnt want to.
Friday I'm meant to be working, but I need someone to cover my shift so I'm free to train / interview new staff for new store.

Its great being in demand isn't it :LOL:

Sponsored Links
1000's been laid off here there and everywhere and your moaning about being busy, I've been off for over two weeks now and would love to be as busy as you are, quit moaning and be grateful

Sponsored Links
the easiest way to keep your JSA wilst still applying for jobs is to fill the application form with spelling mistakes and tell the truth when it comes to the criminal history part... someone told me

the easiest way to keep your JSA wilst still applying for jobs is to fill the application form with spelling mistakes and tell the truth when it comes to the criminal history part... someone told me
Hmmm on the current jobcentre forms there is no criminal history section! :cry: makes our jobs a whole lot harder!

stop moaning

Yeah, stop moaning I've been off 6 weeks now, am bored and fed up, I'm not even being offered temporary or seasonal work.

you never did e-mail me 2 scoops!

I'm too busy job hunting / painting the f'ing house. My missus won't let me be idle. Plus I got fed up, as I was turned down for a gardening job, bl**dy cheek of them. I'll get round to it, I promise!

So me and a manager are arranging the recruitment of 12 staff in a former mining town/village. No easy task.

I'm free to train / interview new staff for new store.

I hate to be a wet blanket , but what training have you had with regard to recruiting? And I'm not just talking about interview technique either. I work for the largest , longest established HR support company , and the amount of people taking potential employers to tribunal is going through the roof. There are several ways a potential employee can take you to trinubal without actually ever getting the job. The stats are even higher in high unemployment areas where some people are clearly taking people to tribunal purely for financial reward.

Nice couple of grand before Christmas :confused:

I'll stop being the prophet of doom now :D

One great thing I love about America.. If you do not like yor job or your employer you have the amazing FREEDOM and option to QUIT and start your own company

The land of the free allows us to make choices and being self employed is the path I took .. If you dont like the water GET OUT and start your own pond
Better to have a gun and not need it then need a gun and not have it

If you do not like yor job or your employer you have the amazing FREEDOM and option to QUIT and start your own company

So do we (UK), so I am not sure what your point is.

I was merely making the OP aware of the vast amount of pitfalls that are involved in employing , or even interviewing employees.

Surely employees in America have some rights as well ?

BoxCleva, so we're supposed to run this shop with a manager and me? What do you think we're going to do? What do we do to avoid these pitfalls?

We're using JC application forms, then at the interview asking for them to fill in one of our short application forms (because it has a part about criminal history), the ones we dont interview are being sent a reject letter by JC. What could we do wrong? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back