Not! Picture Of The Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
could be, but wouldn't that make an error of judgement?

The regs aren't abundantly clear here, but i thought april 2006 was the cut off point for installation of old colours. Following a 2 year transition period from april 2004 ?

I suppose old colours would be permissable, if appropriately marked at the terminations.

Sponsored Links
could be, but wouldn't that make an error of judgement?
Not if your judgement was that it was safer not to mix new and old colours in the same installation.

The regs aren't abundantly clear here, but i thought april 2006 was the cut off point for installation of old colours. Following a 2 year transition period from april 2004 ?
Yes, for full compliance with BS 7671.

I suppose old colours would be permissable, if appropriately marked at the terminations.
Also permissible without such marking. i.e. it is permissible to do that, and still issue an EIC certifying compliance with BS 7671 apart from the departure of using old colours.

i think you're in danger of reading too far into a scenario that may not exist. :confused:

If you have all your ammo ready to defend installing cables which haven't complied since 2006, then go for it! no probs at all.

Me, on the other hand, would feel a bit embarrassed if asked why i did a job yesterday with cable that is probably over three years old.

Which would you rather do, use current colours, sleeve old colours to current colours or put in writing on an EIC that you are using outdated materials?

It depends what I am doing, i.e. if someone was paying for new materials then I will use new materials.
If on the other hand I am repairing something old I may opt to use the old coloured cables as to avoid confusion.

It depends what I am doing, i.e. if someone was paying for new materials then I will use new materials.
If on the other hand I am repairing something old I may opt to use the old coloured cables as to avoid confusion.

i said :-

'i think you're in danger of reading too far into a scenario that may not exist.

If you have all your ammo ready to defend installing cables which haven't complied since 2006, then go for it! no probs at all.

i think that means we agree? ;)

i think you're in danger of reading too far into a scenario that may not exist. :confused:
Insofar as this clearly wasn't installed last week, or even last year, it doesn't exist, I grant you that.

They've only not complied with the colours - in all other respects they still do.

Me, on the other hand, would feel a bit embarrassed if asked why i did a job yesterday with cable that is probably over three years old.
Why would you be embarrassed to do as much as you could to make your work safe?

Which would you rather do, use current colours, sleeve old colours to current colours or put in writing on an EIC that you are using outdated materials?
Depends on what I was doing. If I was altering or extending an existing installation which was red & black I'd rather comply with the law and avoid deliberately introducing unnecessary dangers.

No reason that you can't do both, if you have new (as in not previously used) cable in old colours.

actually, just to point out, that i can see its quite obvious that this wasn't installed yesterday,

You may note the use of emoticon at the end of my post where i suggested that this may have been done last week. This to some may have suggested that i wasn't being 100% serious with this comment.

I bet you're a scream at parties!

I'd love to see the size of the mole hills in your garden :LOL:

actually, just to point out, that i can see its quite obvious that this wasn't installed yesterday,
I never suggested that you couldn't.

You may note the use of emoticon at the end of my post where i suggested that this may have been done last week. This to some may have suggested that i wasn't being 100% serious with this comment.
I never suggested that you were.

I never suggested that you couldn't.

I never suggested that you were.

oh, that ok then. It just seemed that your responses were overly dry and without really appreciating the apparent spirit and focus of the thread from the OP, then develop a somewhat tangential arguement based on a mildly humourous comment.

Maybe you do have a sense of humour and you are good fun at parties.

oh, BTW, "They've only not complied with the colours - in all other respects they still do."

Thats a bit meaningless, if it doesn't comply, then it doesn't comply.

I'm sure you wouldn't say the same if someone got a shock and it was found that there was no earthing to an installation. 'Well, m'lud, the install complied in all respects except for the required provisions of ADS'
a dangerous arguement me thinks

Blue 15amp fuse should be nearest mainswitch, as it's the largest fuse in the board. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

oh, that ok then. It just seemed that your responses were overly dry and without really appreciating the apparent spirit and focus of the thread from the OP, then develop a somewhat tangential arguement based on a mildly humourous comment.
I wasn't arguing - I was agreeing with you about the non-existent scenario.

oh, BTW, "They've only not complied with the colours - in all other respects they still do."

Thats a bit meaningless, if it doesn't comply, then it doesn't comply.
Given that there is more than one attribute with which the cable must comply, it is perfectly possible for it to comply with some of them but not all.

I'm sure you wouldn't say the same if someone got a shock and it was found that there was no earthing to an installation. 'Well, m'lud, the install complied in all respects except for the required provisions of ADS'
a dangerous arguement me thinks
Please read the final sentence of 120.3.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back