Notification/Part P etc

• Thread starter PrinceofDarkness
  • Start date
P

PrinceofDarkness

What is it with some of you chaps, that you need to remind an O/P of Part P and all that stuff? Some of you actually have such a reminder/prompt as a footnote to your posts.

OK, I accept that Part P should be followed, if the householder choses to do so - but I can't understand why some of you feel an obligation to mention it as often as you do.

It's not as though you get paid by your LABC to promote Part P, is it?

So why do you do it voluntarily? Do you resent a DIY'er carrying out simple work when you've had to pay an annual rip-off fee to a rip-off scheme?

There's no obligation for one UK citizen to remind another of his civic and legal duties. So, for Gawds' sake, cut it out!

Lucia.

Sponsored Links
If you mention it and the poster decides to ignore that advice and break the law then it is their decision, it is not for me or anyone else to decide that for them.
I am not a member of a scheme so that doesn't bother me.

Not every home owner is aware of part p, if you inform them of it, and it's implications then they can choose. At least it isn't as bad as the gas on this site, they wont even talk about it saying it's 'illegal' to do diy gas work.....

Sponsored Links
Yes, it might be the 'Law', but the Law doesn't require a citizen of the UK to remind his fellow of the 'Requirements' of any Law.

Those of you who choose to do so, do so purely from selfish or egocentric reasons.

I have to adminster Part P almost every other day, and I'm getting so fed up of the futility and cost of it........

Lucia.

I agree with Lucia that the whole part P/scheme system is potty, I joined a scheme last year so I could do domestic work again (heaven knows why as I hardly do any and don't really enjoy domestic), the nuts thing here is that there are trained sparks who a very good competent engineers who are not scheme members re-wiring schools, hospitals, hotels etc but can't fit a heater in a domestic bathroom - they don't lack skill or knowledge but just havn't paid a fee!, then there are non electricians who have done a short course, joined a scheme and merrily bodge away (my GP did an evening class in electrics, got part P joined a scheme all because he likes messing with electrics but he is c**p at it!!!) (BTW as a scheme member i'm not saying scheme members are bodgers or cowboys, far from it, just that the idea of getting rid of cowboys hasn't worked IMHO).

As for DIY, thats where I came into electrics aged about 10 stripping down and re-building valve radios, wiring up ancient bits of switchgear and almost killing myself with my old mahogany Megger (which again passed calibration today, was made in 1924, theres quality).

Now i'm not suggesting anyone break the law but is it really a sensible law?, not for us to change it on our own I know but someone needs to review the situation.

BTW Lucia do we have a mutual friend in Jim Laws?

Yes, it might be the 'Law', but the Law doesn't require a citizen of the UK to remind his fellow of the 'Requirements' of any Law.
Absolutely right!

Those of you who choose to do so, do so purely from selfish or egocentric reasons.
Absolutely wrong - unless you are telling DIYers to ignore Part P - in which case absolutely right!

I have to adminster Part P almost every other day, and I'm getting so fed up of the futility and cost of it........
Seems like a good reason to quit what you are doing.

What is it with some of you chaps, that you need to remind an O/P of Part P and all that stuff? Some of you actually have such a reminder/prompt as a footnote to your posts.

OK, I accept that Part P should be followed, if the householder choses to do so - but I can't understand why some of you feel an obligation to mention it as often as you do.

It's not as though you get paid by your LABC to promote Part P, is it?

So why do you do it voluntarily? Do you resent a DIY'er carrying out simple work when you've had to pay an annual rip-off fee to a rip-off scheme?

There's no obligation for one UK citizen to remind another of his civic and legal duties. So, for Gawds' sake, cut it out!

Lucia.

Got to agree 100%

Think about it for a minute, a Diyer finds this forum and post a topic about how install blah blah blah

He is only looking here because he has a modicum of an idea and wants to check whether he is right.

You give him the advice and confirms what he first thought and then start spouting part P at him and telling him to get an electrician or inform building control

But the fact is the guy is only asking here because he has no intention of getting an electrician hence asking for advice on an electrical sub forum and cares even less for part P and will just go ahead and do what he wanted to in the first place.

The real people who want to comply with part P would just contact an electrician and not post on a forum.

Of course forums have their uses if the Diyer wants to fault find and who has an emergency problem and needs on-line advice.

But by quoting rules and regs verbatim to these people is just ****ing in the wind

The likelihood is when informing posters of the legal requirements, more often and not you/I/we are pyssyng in the wynd.
But by doing this at least we show a duty of care, whether it be an obligation to do so or not.
Most DIYers are generally not aware of the legal requirements, when it comes to electrical installations within in their homes.
I for one will never tell anyone not to DIY stuff, but I will continue to inform them of the legality of their work, whether they take heed is purely up to them.
If other members decide not to mention legal requirements that's is up to them, but just because someone does, don't let it get your goat!

I have no objection to certain members issuing a helpful and tactful reminder to DIYers about Regs and stuff - where appropriate. But other members here seem to take it to the extreme, as though they have an absolute duty and right of crusade to spout (and often misquote) the Regs - and I'm quite sure they do it for jealous reasons.

Those of you who feel a genuine 'duty of care' ought to advise these DIYers so that they can carry out their work safely without endangering others - or bluntly tell them that you won't help, if you believe them to be idiots. But spouting Part P won't do it on its own.

The 'Forum Nutter' won't be posting on this, my thread, because he's given his word not to share a thread with me.

So, I can say whatever I like, without fear of contraception.....

Lucia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back