Now Putin is really bricking it

Sponsored Links
I visited Russia in 1985 and saw a downtrodden people queuing for a essentials, hardly a car on the roads of Leningrad & Moscow apart from party officials, visited again in 2018, shops full of high end consumer goods, traffic jams in both cities many BMW, Mercs & Range Rovers, luxury hotels etc, I don't think the average Russian go getter will take kindly to having all the trappings of a western lifestyle removed

I visited Russia in 1985 and saw a downtrodden people queuing for a essentials, hardly a car on the roads of Leningrad & Moscow apart from party officials, visited again in 2018, shops full of high end consumer goods, traffic jams in both cities many BMW, Mercs & Range Rovers, luxury hotels etc, I don't think the average Russian go getter will take kindly to having all the trappings of a western lifestyle removed
Aside from the technological slant, how is any of that indicative of a western lifestyle ? unless you are willing to suggest that markets, travel, goods, commodities, cities are a western construct which were foreign to the world, including Russia and its predecessors.

What I don't understand in all of this, is....

Putin is worried about the Ukraine becoming a NATO member and having a NATO member bordering Russia. Now assuming he gains control of the Ukraine, he will be no better off, he will still have Poland a NATO country bordering the Ukraine.

That video clip of the 'tank' deliberately aiming for a moving car and driving over it was horrifying.

Sponsored Links
What I don't understand in all of this, is....

Putin is worried about the Ukraine becoming a NATO member and having a NATO member bordering Russia. Now assuming he gains control of the Ukraine, he will be no better off, he will still have Poland a NATO country bordering the Ukraine.

That video clip of the 'tank' deliberately aiming for a moving car and driving over it was horrifying.
He was after a demilitarized buffer zone between Russia and NATO. I bet he has a fluffy white cat that sits on his lap as he strokes it.

Aside from the technological slant, how is any of that indicative of a western lifestyle ? unless you are willing to suggest that markets, travel, goods, commodities, cities are a western construct which were foreign to the world, including Russia and its predecessors.

Western lifestyle c1980: everything plentiful; work rewarded as per society's value of it; worldwide travel available to those who want it.

Russian lifestyle c1980: queuing for rationed bread and cabbage- no guarantee; 10 year wait list for a Trabant; sh1t social housing- no private housing market; no overseas travel for the oiks.

Get the picture?

As for the OP's point... Champions League, Formula 1... Olympics, Euros, World Cup. Hilarious innit?

Western lifestyle c1980: everything plentiful; work rewarded as per society's value of it; worldwide travel available to those who want it.

Russian lifestyle c1980: queuing for rationed bread and cabbage- no guarantee; 10 year wait list for a Trabant; sh1t social housing- no private housing market; no overseas travel for the oiks.

Get the picture?

As for the OP's point... Champions League, Formula 1... Olympics, Euros, World Cup. Hilarious innit?
The last I checked, we're in 2022. Anyway, how are the gas bill payments going ? could do with a 2nd zero-hour job, no ?.
If you're juxtaposing US vs USSR then fair enough, but that is a rather outdated contrast and not as relevant as many of the issues the USSR experienced are slowly encroaching into our societies.
But if not then outside of the technological slant, none of what was described is unique to western civilisation. These activities have existed and occurred throughout human history in one form or another - a quick cursory look at history would easily quell such ideas.

Last edited:
The last I checked, we're in 2022. Anyway, how are the gas bill payments going ? could do with a 2nd zero-hour job, no ?.
If you're juxtaposing US vs USSR then fair enough, but that is a rather outdated contrast. Outside of the technological slant, none of what was described is unique to western civilisation. These activities have existed and occurred throughout human history in one form or another - a quick cursory look at history would easily quell such ideas.

Yeah but like everyone is telling you comrade, they sure as sh1t didn't exist in Russia in the 80's. Plenty of vodka to drown their sorrows though.

What are your thoughts on racism?

What are your thoughts on racism?
I sense an oven baked caricaturisation on hand. Racism? overused, and triggered people casting too broad strokes and not looking at the positive developments. Truth is some where in between the extremes of course. Are there issues ? sure, but loads of progress as been made too.

Yeah but like everyone is telling you comrade, they sure as sh1t didn't exist in Russia in the 80's. Plenty of vodka to drown their sorrows though.
But that is made in contrast to today, so its irrelevant because many English folk are also on the breadline today, and its an icreasing problem - can wash down with some prosecco though.

I sense an oven baked caricaturisation on hand. Racism? overused, and triggered people casting too broad strokes and not looking at the positive developments. Truth is some where in between the extremes of course. Are there issues ? sure, but loads of progress as been made too.

Just checking, you reminded me of another poster briefly who has multiple aliases, apologies, I think I was mistaken.

The last I checked, we're in 2022.

The contrast I make describes life there the last time Russia/USSR was a pariah state, mainly cut off from the developed world. No forex, no outside investment, no participation in world event... The Russian middle class and the young won't take long to say, "Nyet" to that! As the song goes, 'If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor.'

But you know that. All your incarnations do.

Sponsored Links
Back