Nuclear or fossil fuel power station

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you guys think we should be phasing out fossil fuel power station in favour for neclear stations?

Sponsored Links
I am very mistrustful of nuclear power because the industry has shown itself to be untrustworthy. The problem with residues are that they are terribly dangerous and have to be safely stored longer than any human organisation has lasted.

Britain's original Nuclear power industry was a disguised source of materials for nuclear weapons.

There are various hotspots which are quite likely due to accidental, careless or reckless release of radioactive materials. Some around Sellafield and others around old military sites. Missile-grade materials unaccountably go missing and are unaccounted for.

Nuclear is possibly the best way forward in every way except for the waste products. But why not stick a bit of nuclear waste on every space mission and eject it into space? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
Nuclear is possibly the best way forward in every way except for the waste products. But why not stick a bit of nuclear waste on every space mission and eject it into space? :LOL:

In case on the off-chance it decides to return to earth!! :eek:

Theres also the financial side of it, there's a hell of a lot of the stuff out there!!

home of Blinky, the three-eyed fish
blinkyblinking.gif

lol, not too far!! For those not in the know, Windscale and Calder hall are now part of the Sellafield site.

Theres been talk in some scientific journals of it becoming economically viable to mine the moon for resources, so perhaps on the returning shuttle the nuclear waste could be sent back for reprocessing or disposal there?

tim west said:
Theres been talk in some scientific journals of it becoming economically viable to mine the moon for resources, so perhaps on the returning shuttle the nuclear waste could be sent back for reprocessing or disposal there?

The 'progress of mankind'...

Not content on ruining our own planet, we could just move on to the next celestial body and pillage/pollute that one...

And then the next.... ;)

AGENT SMITH
I'd like to share a revelation
that I've had during my time here.
It came to me when I tried to
classify your species. I've
realised that you are not actually
mammals.

Every mammal on this planet
instinctively develops a natural
equilibrium with the surrounding
environment. But you humans do
not. You move to an area and you
multiply and multiply until every
natural resource is consumed and
the only way you can survive is to
spread to another area.

There is another organism on this
planet that follows the same
pattern. Do you know what it is?

A virus.

ellal said:
tim west said:

The 'progress of mankind'...

Not content on ruining our own planet, we could just move on to the next celestial body and pillage/pollute that one...

And then the next.... ;)
I'm with you on the pollution aspect but there's not a lot to pollute up there and by the time we finally make it properly habitable we should hopefully have thought of ways to cope with it better ie perhaps burying it and using the radiation given off to heat the living complexes or producing electricity to manufacture essentials like water or oxygen?

Sponsored Links
Back