oftec trainning

R

ringy1

just about to do an oftec oil course.oft 50/101/105e/600a. has anyone done theses courses and are they worth the money. im a young plumber who is out of work and looking to become a service engineer is this a good courses to do to upgrade my skills and knowledge to go out on my own and service and repair oil boilers

Sponsored Links
just about to do an oftec oil course.oft 50/101/105e/600a. has anyone done theses courses and are they worth the money. im a young plumber who is out of work and looking to become a service engineer is this a good courses to do to upgrade my skills and knowledge to go out on my own and service and repair oil boilers
At your level of knowledge, ANY course will be an improvement.
As for working on boilers, I think it would be best if you limited yourself to wiping the front with a slightly damp cloth.

thanks for that, your a nice man. does anyone else have any usefull info? instead of this self satisfying prick

OFTEC 101 will allow you to COMMISSION oil boilers, 105E will let you Install boilers and 600a will let you Install Oil Tanks and oil lines.

If you want to service and repair boilers you don't need ANY of the above. I would say that 101 would be the most useful for what you want to do, but not essential.

Spend your money wisely, as the courses, missed days while on courses, and the OFTEC business and personal registration fees are quite high. You might be better buying a Gas Analyser, smoke gun, pressure gauge kit, and going on burner and boiler courses run by manufacturers. Good luck my friend.

Sponsored Links
As for working on boilers, I think it would be best if you limited yourself to wiping the front with a slightly damp cloth.

Bengasman - why did you feel the need to insult somebody you do not know who asked a fair and reasonable question?

Bengasman - why did you feel the need to insult somebody you do not know who asked a fair and reasonable question?

OP is one of two options;
Another clown along the lines of BB etc. ,or
Somebody who is actually trying to work out there, but has no idea about how things stick together.
Last week he pretended to work on gas.

By all means go on your course. If you are just about to do it then you must be already committed, so the question is somewhat late.

The gas and oil industry has been severely hit by the recession.

When you hit the ground with your OFTEC ticket, you will be competing against hungry time served old lags, who are usually expert heating engineers too. Many of these guys are under utilised at the moment.

Ask yourself how people will hear of you, and why they would want to use you in preference to those with experience. Put yourself in the shoes of a punter with an oil boiler- - what choices would you make?

If you have some good answers then go ahead.

Where's the insult?

All Ben did was cut to the quick. He is absolutely right to say that someone who poses that question for the sake of the general public should do no more than clean the outer case.

If you wanted stents put in your coronary ateries would you let someone open you up who had sat in a lecture theatre?

The only way to obtain sufficient skill ability and safety levels to work on any kind of boiler is to learn on the job from a mentor.

Hey guys give him a chance, you all started somewhere!

At least he is now being realistic and taking appropriate courses which must be in the right direction. :)

thanks for your honest opinions lads ill take that on board. ill give it a go tho no point in staying at home scratching my arse is there!!!

Manufacturers courses should help you learn to fix boilers wheras the OFTEC course will teach you what you need to know to pass the assessment. It certainly will do nothing to teach you how to repair oil boilers.

It would make more sense to learn how boilers work and how to repair them first otherwise you will end up as yes another person holding an OFTEC certificate yey know nothing about boilers. Yes there are a lot of them out there unfortunatly!!

to be honest the best stuff to use is Tesco anti bacterial multi surface cleaner. and its cheap.

Ive tried loads, I usually try the customers first, to see if its any good.

but imho the tesco stuff is brill :LOL:

Fantastic that you want to get OFT Assessments, but once qualified you should get a job with a Service Company to gain experience, if you go out on your own, you will find no back up or help when things go wrong (and they will!)

I had Twenty Five years working for contractors, Maintenance companies, an Oil Company and a Boiler Manufacturer before setting up on my own.

in Four years i now have a Company with 5 Employees and Maintenance Contracts throughout the south east

I Wish you the very best of luck with your venture ;)

still alive!!!!!! hows the cooker!!!!!! but seriously why not try to get some hands on working with some one for a while then decide which way you want to go?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back