oil boiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a grandee 5 boiler, with a eogb burner.

its been locking out all the time.

doesn't come on with timer, stays on for a few secs sometimes minutes then locks out. I do have spark.

So i cleaned filter on tank, just cleaned filter in pump, cleaned nozzle so wasn't dirty.

However it seems now that when it does decide to light, when i turn off the boiler it is still lit for a second.

Any help would be great

Sponsored Links
Firstly, you shouldn't clan an oil nozzle: you shouldn't touch either the jet itself or the gauze filter at the other end.

It could be a faulty photo cell, control box or solenoid. Is the oil pressure set correctly?

didnt do any of that, i just wiped to black stuff off.

Service, about 7 months a go i think. We only moved in some point last year.

Oil pressure i don't know, i have a oil pressure gauge but am unable to connect it to the pump.

what i didnt understand was if i leave it for a while, turn it on ill get a spark, but get no oil out. but i turn it off by the dial on the front then back on again within a few seconds i get flame.

Sponsored Links
Did you bleed the filter and pump after cleaning? sounds like it could be fuel supply problem or faulty solenoid or even pump.
Advice from leakydave is sound(there are a number of things that might be the cause), if you can't connect to oil pump and measure pressure might be better to get someone in who can.

there is a black like blanking thing on the oil pump. I open that up until te was no more bubbles coming out.

Yeah, looking to get someone, but being a sunday and cold thought could try a few things

Fair enough james not nice being cold!
The black blanking plug (with P written against it - not V ?) should bleed the pump, but you should bleed the filter also (may have 2 screws on top - or a small nut - or open up sight gauge to bleed air out). Maybe try cracking the nut where flexi pipe connects to the pump and run it out into a container (I prefer doing this as you can see when the oil is flowing freely).

Have you cleaned the photocell - probably not a lot more you can do without parts or test equipment.

the blanking plugs don't have any markings. i undid the one on the top?

If it helps i have a danfoss type bfb 11L3 oil pump. couldn't see the srews you mentioned.

photocell is clean.
I can get a flame if i turn the burner off and straight on again, but if i leave it and let it light after few mins it wont burn on its own

If you're sure it's bled and you don't have any water contamination it may be worth replacing the solenoid coil (reasonably cheap, if you can get one at this time on a Sunday - if you were nearer I'd be tempted to pop out to sort it!) - gotta go and sort some stuff out now I'll check back later to see if you've any other suggestions, there are some very good contributors on this site so hope you can get somewhere with it.

update.

after reading some info on the pump and how it works etc, i was able to bled it at the right point.

still had the same problem that won't light unless i turn it of then on again.

so i gave up.

then tried again.

i lit on its own.

i reassembled.

it lit on its own.

loads of smoke, now gone so ill put that down to soot from previous attempts?

its running now, but the true test will be if it restarts on its own.

i have my next door neighbour getting a price for service of his plumber mate, who he trusts. hope just need a service.

Loads of smoke usually indicates low pump pressure (140psi needed on these) or a faulty nozzle (don't clean, just replace). There is a good chance that the boiler firebox is well sooted too - if you lift the top off the boiler casing there's usually a cast iron cover beneath, held by a couple of nuts. Lifting this away gives access to the baffles, which can be lifted clear one at a time and brushed clean (keep them in order!) Use an old vacuum cleaner to clear the debris away. I reckon the burner needs a good clean - with the flame tube off I use compressed air to do this, and at the same time blow clear all of the air inlets. If your system has a hydraulic air flap make sure that this is operating too. Nozzles cost around £5, and the Danfoss BFP11L3 (L stands for left rotation looking at the spindle) costs between £50 and £90 depending where you buy. Good luck with it! Cheers John

ill give it clean out tomorrow. i have done this once before.

also am buying new nozzle, so cheap not worth messing around.

there is a sticker on top of the burner saying type (eogb) nozzle (60 x 80 eh)
and pressure (120 psi).

I cant find a nozzle that is 60 x 80. I can find 60, or 80.

I have a oil pressure gauge but need a coupling to connect to the pump, know where i can get one?

Thanks

You'll find the information on a nozzle is the 'flow rate in US gals per hour' followed by the 'cone angle', I think your 60 is most likely 0.6, which in fact is similar to mine, although mine is different boiler and different burner.
The other aspect is whether the cone is solid or hollow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back