oil boiler problems

A typical nozzle will be marked thus:
.60 80' H
.60 means that it will pass .60 U.S gallons of fuel per hour at the recommended pressure
80' or 80 degrees is the angle of the fuel spray cone
H is the type of spray cone that the particular nozzle produces...it could be a hollow spray, have 6 spray cones inside the main cone, could have a denser spray in the middle, etc etc...the list goes on.
However, replace the nozzle with the exact same type, especially regarding the .60 and 80 degrees, or you could run into bother. Check out the Wolsley parts centres (under Parts Center) or as suggested, Heating-parts uk, who have an on line catalogue. Cheers John

Sponsored Links
ok, thanks for all the replies.

I just got home and has lockout again, but it is now running after a reset.

Think ill get a nozzle and get someone to service.

Also a clean and pressure check.

The service should include the cleaning of the chamber and burner and pressure check as well checking the supply from tank to burner. Do mention the problems you've been having before the guy starts the service.

Sponsored Links
It'll cost you more than a fiver though...if the customer provides one we'll fit it but won't guarantee it for a year as we would with a supplied and marked up nozzle.

i see. well good to know. to be honest as much i like fixing myself and learning about it all, think ill bite the bullet and get someone in.

Otherwise i can see me replacing lots of parts that are prob not needed

The service should include a new nozzle.

If you chant the mantras, maybe, but consider you have a burner giving 11 - 12% CO2, 15ppm CO, Flue temp of say 180 deg C, and no smoke. Why would you change the nozzle? The idea of a service is to improve the situation, or not to leave it worse than when you got there. With the example figures, there is a significant chance things will be worse if you change the nozzle.

If you are doing all you are told, the flexi pipe should be changed every year too. Doing this for no better reason than you have been told to do it would 1) indicate a lack of judgement, 2) ensure your customer list became smaller.

I do agree with what you're saying oilman, however I work for a company where if I don't change the nozzle I'll be up for disciplinary action(unless customer specifically asks me not to), customers seem to expect it on the service. It goes against my nature to change something that ain't broke...

As this fella has "cleaned" his nozzle he will be as well to get it changed.

I sympathise with your predicament casius66. I suspect it's more to do with how much your firm can charge than with engineering.

Though I would put an update.

Had guy round (albeit couple weeks ago)

I had a co reading of 400ppm, and pressure at 200psi.

he replaced nozzle and my cracked electrodes(which i knew were broken)

All working fine.

On the plus side i haven't received an invoice yet. :D

where you from james,are you in cambridge or outside?
How far from stansted i can take a look if your close enough ;)

oilman

If you had bothered to read the original post it did say,

cleaned nozzle so wasn't dirty.

So in that case YES any decent engineer would replace the nozzle, whether it was a service or repair.

As for changing flexi oil lines, if we are called to service boiler that have no history of being serviced we do change grubby looking lines.
As for changing every year I never mentioned it.
Then again i have not been called to any of our installations/servicing that has emptied and oil tank due to failed flexi lines.

So please don't class me as one of the many 1 week oil wonder boys.
Been at it to long to have snide remarks passed on by so called experts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back