Oil Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just registered and am new to Forums. Can someone in Admin let me know where to post my desperate search for answers as to why my oil fired central heating boiler keeps locking out? Would I need just a Plumbing site, or Oil fired boilers, or what?

Thanks,

Nicoporter

Sponsored Links
very vague description but you know the term lockout? :rolleyes:

2 points, air in the fuel, get it serviced by a proffesional ;)

Yes, I know about lockout. Light comes on and it turns itself off. We hit the reset, twice, and it always happens again. Have now had 3 visits by the professionals! New pump, new light sensor thing, new tube somewhere inside, even new tigerloop! None of these were the problem.

Filter from tank checked for sludge: clear
Tiger loop has oil in it.

Our heating engineer stumped: we are going to get huge bills!

Thanks for your replies so far.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a flame failure lockout!

If the photocell is fine ( and they only usually have a dirty window ) and the lead/connections are fine then that leaves two possibilities!

Unfortunately your description is not exact enough for me to understand whats happening.

It may be a failure to light at the initial ignition stage, spark, electrode, flame detection circuit etc.

Or it may be a flame detection failure DURING normal running. Oil supply interruptions, control circuit etc.

The one part not apparently replaced is the control box which detects the flame and powers the fan and ignition circuit.

However there are many faults on electrodes, connections and cables which can cause the lockouts.

Like other walks of life, oil technicians vary greatly in their capability to diagnose boiler faults. Because oil boilers are very reliable and simple they often spend most of their time doing routine servicing and very few repairs.

Tony

Dear Tony,

That's it - the photocell is what was replaced today. No, I didn't think the window looked dirty, tho' the engineer thought it did (he is now getting desperate after 3 visits!)

OK. Exact description. It does light at ignition - engineer thought flame detection failure was during normal running (hence replacement of photocell). However, I think he is just replacing everything he can think of. Past horrible experience of £1000 bill 4 years ago leads me to think that maybe 1 thing wrong initially, now has led to more than one failure - after all, it is a system, therefore just changing one component may not be enough as a diagnosis hasn't been made.

I take your point about the fact that most of them just service: what can I do?

Thanks for your helpful advice so far.

Regards,

Nico

well the tiger loop will eliminate the air, so are you going to tell us the make of the burner?
cant help if we dont the make and model

If its a failure during normal running AND it always fires up fine then I would be suspecting an oil supply problem.

Air or water in the oil supply?

Is the oil filter clean and not leaking air in at the seals?

Is the tank well full?

Has dirt in the tank been disturbed by letting the oil run dry ?

I dont go to many oil boilers in London so some of the country bumpkins may have more suggestions!

Tony

This country bumpkin is also relatively new to oil: used to live in town and we had PROPER gas!

Well, I know I got it filled before it got to the sludge stage. Dunno how I can ask the suppliers if they got air or water in when they filled it (they'll say no, not us!) However, tank was filled on 5 Dec and the lockouts started on 24 Dec. Not really much of a clue.

Relied on engineer to have checked filters on one of his three visits: he said he did.

Tank now about 1/3 full - I put 600 litres in on 5 Dec: oil too pricey to put in more!

Gawd knows - oil supply runs from tank, under drive, and pops up on outside wall of house, then up to tigerloop etc. and into utility room (as it's wall mounted.)

Does this help at all?

Thanks for your ongoing suggestions.

Nico

Its usually significantly cheaper to manage your consumption so that you do not fill during the peak winter months.

Ideally during July/August when the best deals are available as the suppliers are twiddling their thumbs!

Tony

Gawd knows - oil supply runs from tank, under drive, and pops up on outside wall of house, then up to tigerloop etc. and into utility room (as it's wall mounted.)

Does this help at all?

No, not at all. You seem unable to give even the simplest of information that has been asked to enable anyone to help. Therefore it's unlikely you will be able to effect a remedy (the point of posting) without calling someone else in.

Thanks Nixt, you're a great help.

The POINT of using posts is to try to get extra advice.
The POINT of calling in heating engineers is to try to get the problem sorted. I teach. If my engineer needed a teacher, I'd expect him to call me.

If I need my boiler fixed, I expect to call an engineer.

Are you an expert in all fields? No? I thought not.

N

The make and model of the boiler and burner is still being called for.

:idea: could be a blocked flue :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back