Oil Boiler

Will contact our (Oftec registered, amazingly!) heating engineers and suggest they look at replacing the burner.

NO, NO, NO!!!! DO NOT suggest they do anything particular.

In fact, why not get someone who can sort it? Oftec registration means they are oftec registered, it doesn't make them any good, just as not being registered doesn't make them bad. Though in fairness if the fault is intermittent, they are absolute pigs to sort.

Sponsored Links
OK. Will find new Oftec reg. engineers and just tell them what's been happening so far. See what they come up with.

N

I have several of these Minor 1 burners doing the same thing at the moment. Haven't the faintest idea what the problem is. Have suggested new burner is the economic fix.

Sponsored Links
What is a Delavan A, and does it mean that their readings are not reliable because they are using an unreliable device?

N

Thanks to all who have posted suggestions.

Going off line for a lie down and a cold compress on the forehead, plus large alcoholic drink - in my freezing house.

Ta.

N

Control box may be a problem, but since it seems to fire it is unlikely.

then contaminated fuel. Otherwise the oil pump is a strong contender.

i wasnt suggesting the control box at fault, its just usefull to know for checking for ignition faults, but then you find out by turning the box over.

if there was water wouldnt you see it in the tigerloop? just a thought.

You say they replaced the photoresistor ?

Get the engineer to check the solenoid valve along with the control box.

A stupid thought :LOL: they did put the correct grade of oil in the tank :rolleyes:

I agree with doitall - try a replacement solenoid valve - would be interesting to know fault when sorted.

Update: same engineer came yesterday, moved the cuff that holds the photocell in place (as he worked out boiler would fire up, burn for 6 secs, then cut out) - apparently indicating failure of photocell to pick up flame?

Anyway, he did this and it worked for 8 hours. Later on, noticed that power to boiler had gone, so we changed fuse in wall switch. Has been going fine since then.

Advice please from anyone. does this mean we should accept that we also needed the new pump we'll be charged for? Or was the reason the pump wasnt working was because the photocell wasnt picking up the flame?

Nico

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back