Oil Boiler

It's a Thermecon W50/801. Have been on their website but do not see it. It is 65 btu.

This is all the info I could find on it. All I can repeat it, it did exactly this: repeated lockouts after many engineer visits 4 years ago, when it was 4 years old.

Tiger loop replaced once - it was genuinely faulty.

Nico

Sponsored Links
nicoporter, now that you are a seasoned poster and feel really comfortable about posting here, let's have the following information IN DETAIL or we can't help.

1) make of boiler DONE
2) model of boiler DONE
3) make of burner
4) detailed description of what happens when you press the reset button.

I know you may think it's not very useful, but those who know can make use of tiny bits of information, and may be able to tell you what's wrong, as whoever you have coming in seems incompetent.

If you carry on as earlier, then perhaps you treat everybody the same, as we can see here.

It's a Thermecon W50/801. Have been on their website but do not see it. It is 65 btu.

This is all the info I could find on it. All I can repeat it, it did exactly this: repeated lockouts after many engineer visits 4 years ago, when it was 4 years old.

Tiger loop replaced once - it was genuinely faulty.

Nico

So this is a wall mount, probably has a Ecoflam Minor 1 burner

Dear Oilman

Thanks for your measured reply: no I don't treat everyone the way I treated Nixt, but he was very rude - I'm a 55 year old teacher who knows zero about boilers - I'm no fool in my own area, but I do kind of rely on the engineers in the heating area.

I am getting the info you require: sadly, my other half is even less technical than me and he is frowning at the "make of burner" on your list!

I'll post again when we have more info.

Thanks for your help and patience and politeness.

Nico

Sponsored Links
so its an ecoflam burner, it needs to removed stripped and inspected, the usual fault with these baby burners is that they fire into a very confined space, so the brake plate developes a build up of carbon, fouling the electrodes.
you cant repair this kind of burner from the outside by just staring at it and changing random parts.
does it even attempt to light?

would be helpfull to know which control box has been fitted, thats the thing with the lockout reset button that illuminates

Details: Thermecon IW 50/80.
Output: 50/8000 kw 147 - 234
Fuel: Class C kerosene
Operating Pressure: 2.76 BAR
Temp: 60 - 95 deg centigrade
It has an Ecoflam Minor 1 burner. It is wall mounted, as you say.

What happens when it goes to lockout - which it has just done again after being on for a few seconds this time - is that initially it fires up, clicks in and can run for an hour or more. Then, when it locks out, it will fire up but lock out again within seconds.

Before the engineer came again today, I couldn't start it at all. He then changed the photocell and it ran for 90 mins or so (until he had left, basically). However, it always fires up successfully since the pump was replaced yesterday, although it takes 6 or more 6 resets for the boiler to properly run again. Which is not right! It will then lock out, every time, eventually.

Any ideas?

N

bad or unstable flame,
could be a fouled brake plate or nozzle, or blocked up with soot

Ow! Still, cheaper than new boiler.

Wonder why engineer didn't even think of burner?

Model is Landis and Gyr LOA 24.

Mean anything to you?

Regards,

Nico

Look at www.oftec.co.uk for a technician. You will not be able to fix this, and it should cost no more than £200 even allowing for a new oil pump. It does not need a new motor, but the guaranteed fix is to buy a new burner and have it fitted.

Note: you will have to pay for fiitting.

Control box may be a problem, but since it seems to fire it is unlikely.

By now, your bloke should know what the oil pressure is and should be able to demonstrate the spark is adequate. Next likely thing is nozzle, then contaminated fuel. Otherwise the oil pump is a strong contender.

get an oftec registered engineer to it and get it done properly this is a very very simple burner

Thanks to both Oilman and Whatdoiknow (more than me, obviously!) Your suggestions have been VERY helpful.

Will contact our (Oftec registered, amazingly!) heating engineers and suggest they look at replacing the burner.

I take your point about cost, and will check this with them too.

Very many thanks. You've made an old teacher very relieved!

Nicoporter

What happens when it goes to lockout - which it has just done again after being on for a few seconds this time - is that initially it fires up, clicks in and can run for an hour or more. Then, when it locks out, it will fire up but lock out again within seconds.

N

If it relights before lockout it may not necessarily be the burner at fault. Had problem before with Thermecon, but you're better off with advice from polite people.

tell who ever the ignition transformer is across 21-22

yeah get an oftec registered engineer

Oh hello Nixt

Polite people nicer to deal with but not necessarily more intelligent! You are probably right. I wondered whether Thermecon had a bit of a reputation. The heating engineer only said that they imported all the boiler parts from other countries and then assembled them here, but that doesn't tell me much, as I don't know one end of the boiler from another.

Will pass on all comments to heating engineer, but am editing out the bit about country bumpkin as he is a nice man from Yeovil....

N

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back