Oil Boiler

did he remove the the burner at all? inspect the combustion chamber and heat exechanger?
whats this about an oil pump? has he had a pressure gauge on it?
has he set the combustion correctly.
or are you in the position still of him standing there using his xray vision to diagnose whats going on inside. :rolleyes:
from experience i would say that burner head is covered in carbon.

Sponsored Links
Yes he removed the burner, yes he put a pressure guage on it. No I don't know whether he has set the combustion correctly.

If it is still covered in carbon we will soon find out as it will stop again and next time he comes round I will ask him point blank if he has checked the burner head.

He left at about 11.45 yesterday and it's been fine since we replaced the 3 amp fuse in the mains going last night.

Sponsored Links
You did seem to say that after the pump was changed it always fired up. That would indicate the new pump was beneficial.

It would seem that the only real fault was that the photocell was not aligned properly. But that is difficult to access after so much fiddling!
By happy that its all working now and wish that oil technicians were more experienced!

You could always write a letter to say that you are not happy that it took so long and so many parts before it was fixed and you think that it would have been done quicker and cheaper by a more experienced person and suggest they refund part of the bill!!!

Cat among the pidgeons!

Tony

If you're too p*ssed to drive then you should really stay away from the keyboard. :rolleyes:

IT should be 5amp for an oil burner !!

My Esse Oilburner (Ecoflam I beleive) states 3A fuse - you don't wan't the wrong one in there.

I would not want an Esse under any circumstances!!

I should have said"most" boilers require one!

As I will not even look at an Esse I was blissfully unaware!!!

Obviously a smaller fuse would do no harm, but due to starting current of the burner in conjuction with the circulating pump, tripping can occur!!

I wasn't offering you my Esse, don't worry.

I was merely stating that I have a system with a similar burner, which uses a 3A fuse to power the entire system, including pump.

The original poster was unsure of the correct fuse rating, although as she stated, her boiler had probably been operating on a 3A fuse since '99. Better to be sure than to generalize.

Nothing wrong with an esse i repair service them all the time.
Customers have had oil engineers who do boilers thinking cookers are the same mess them up and never want to work on them again :rolleyes:
On the older esse if not serviced properly would overheat soot up e.c.t.
The servicing manual left a lot of very important things out that i had to get out of tech :evil: (changed design now to solid internal flueway)

The stanley is another thing they are crap....

Last posted early Jan - engineer on 4th visit repositioned photocell, boiler worked fine till today. Locked out again. In despair. Contacted manufacturers but they only said v. unlikely both pump and cell go at the same time (my engineer replaced both on separate occasions). Get the feeling they haven't a clue what the on going problem is.

There is oil in the Tiger loop - and I did give a lot of specification info when I originally posted at end of December.

:?:

you could try removing the photocell wiping it clean and replacing it,

but as i said previously the job needs doing properly, burner off, cleaned inspected, boiler cleaning, then combustion setting up properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back