ok to cilp SWA to fence in garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to run power to a garden shed. I was planning to use 2.5 SWA.
I don't like the prospect of having to dig a 450mm deep trench for it. I was wondering if it is ok to clip it to a fence. The SWA is tough stuff and would surely resist the elements. Come to think of it, could I use T/E in conduit clipped to the fence instead? I am sure this will not be allowed as it would be too easy. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why?

I don't like the prospect of having to dig a 450mm deep trench for it.
Then pay someone else to dig it. Simples.

I was wondering if it is ok to clip it to a fence.
Not really.

Come to think of it, could I use T/E in conduit clipped to the fence instead?
No.

I am sure this will not be allowed as it would be too easy.
No, because it's too cr*p.

Any ideas?
Yes - do it properly or not at all.

Why?

I don't like the prospect of having to dig a 450mm deep trench for it.
Then pay someone else to dig it. Simples.

I was wondering if it is ok to clip it to a fence.
Not really.

Come to think of it, could I use T/E in conduit clipped to the fence instead?
No.

I am sure this will not be allowed as it would be too easy.
No, because it's too cr*p.

Any ideas?
Yes - do it properly or not at all.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I realise most electricians are incapable of thinking for themselves and just learn regs by rote, but maybe you could stretch yourselves to giving more inteligent answers than 'no' or 'because it's crap'.
Why is it crap? Maybe i'm wrong, but ithought SWA is impervious to the weather and inherently strong, so what is the problem? The wood and concrete fence is strong. It is difficult to see how it could be damaged if it is above the ground. If it was somehow damaged the combination of earthed sheath and RCD would make it impossible for there to be a safety issue.
At the moment my friend (who's house and shed it is) is using a 13 amp extension. Why should he waste time and money buring cables if it is not neccessary?
I realise a lot of the regs are bullshit and just part of a money-go-round that pays for a whole industry of re-training, and testing and certification. I know we have no real choice but to follow the regs.

I realise most electricians are incapable of thinking for themselves

That is just not true. The majority of sparks (I am not one) on this forum will give you good sound advice.

It's just that a few (a small minority) (mostly one) don't know any beter.

I realise most electricians are incapable of thinking for themselves and just learn regs by rote, but maybe you could stretch yourselves to giving more inteligent answers than 'no' or 'because it's crap'.
Why is it crap? Maybe i'm wrong, but ithought SWA is impervious to the weather and inherently strong, so what is the problem? The wood and concrete fence is strong. It is difficult to see how it could be damaged if it is above the ground. If it was somehow damaged the combination of earthed sheath and RCD would make it impossible for there to be a safety issue.
At the moment my friend (who's house and shed it is) is using a 13 amp extension. Why should he waste time and money buring cables if it is not neccessary?
I realise a lot of the regs are bulls**t and just part of a money-go-round that pays for a whole industry of re-training, and testing and certification. I know we have no real choice but to follow the regs.
I was going to dissect this post, similar to Ban-all-sheds' style, but I dont think you'll take any notice of it. Of particular interest was going to be why you think the electrical regulations are bullshit. They are only bullshit to YOU because they dont let YOU do the cheaper and easier option for YOU. YOU dont care about safety, YOU just want electric in your shed for nowt. Go ahead, because with an attitude like yours you wont get much help here.

I was going to dissect this post, similar to Ban-all-sheds' style

Glad you decided not to use the BAS style. Be yourself, be polite not like BAS. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back