Old bathroom pull switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. The cord on my pull switch in the bathroom snapped right at the mechanism so I need to replace it.
It powers both the light and extraction fan. The wiring is old, red and black cables, and no earth.
Both reds go to One connection and both blacks to another, but there is no labels.

I bought a new pull switch and it has the stand com and l1 ports, any idea which cable I put where? Appreciate any help, or is it best to get an electrician?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
switched neutral?

If both reds are in one terminal, and both blacks are in another terminal (as written above), then NOT a switched neutral.

(Although the first pic does kind of look like the blacks are seperate, I must admit. But the second picture does show only two terminals, and you can see two wires in each terminal.)

They are switch wires - permanent lives and switch lives. A fan was mentioned, so it must be a switch wire for the light, and a switch wire for the fan.

I wonder how ancient the fan is.

That said, the cable with the earth wire poking out looks a bit newer, so maybe this is the fan switch cable, suggesting the fan is a later addition.

Last edited:
Hi. The cord on my pull switch in the bathroom snapped right at the mechanism so I need to replace it.

Both reds go to One connection and both blacks to another, but there is no labels.

[
If both reds are in one terminal, and both blacks are in another terminal (as written above), then NOT a switched neutral.

(Although the first pic does kind of look like the blacks are seperate, I must admit. But the second picture does show only two terminals, and you can see two wires in each terminal.)

They are switch wires - permanent lives and switch lives. A fan was mentioned, so it must be a switch wire for the light, and a switch wire for the fan.

I wonder how ancient the fan is.

That said, the cable with the earth wire poking out looks a bit newer, so maybe this is the fan switch cable, suggesting the fan is a later addition.

I suggested a possible switched neutral because, at first reading/glance, I saw the two red wires common'd and the two black wires being thru the switch - suggesting a possible switched neutral scenario. However, on closer look I see the two reds in one side of the switch & the two blacks in the other.

This does, however, suggest another scenario which has bitten me before. I've been caught out when a previous person has replaced TWO switches with a single switch. They have connected both live feeds into one side of the switch & both switched lives into the other. Obviously this will work just fine just as long as both live feeds are from the same final circuit, however, in the case I found they were from two different lighting circuits......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back