old lighting wiring puzzle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My GF hall light (on a 2-way switch system)stopped working so I investigated the circuit. There are only 2 supply wires in the ceiling roses downstairs so I was confidently expecting to find junction boxes under the 1st floor somewhere. All the underfloor wiring is old-style single wires in black metal conduit jointed together with tees and elbows - and having had most of the floorboards up and followed the conduit, there is not a junction box in sight anywhere! Surely the connections weren\\\'t made as the conduit was fitted, and they are now inside? Has anybody any experience of seeing this before? House was built in the early 20\\\'s, and I fear I\\\'m looking at a rewire here... Any clues to this most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would guess the connections have been done in the switch boxes if you can find no junction boxes. Are you sure there is no round( approx 3" dia) box in the conduit run?

Thanks for that. I've followed all the conduit under most of the 1st floor and I'm pretty certain there are no boxes. I didn't consider the switch boxes themselves as the junction points (though obviously I checked all the connections in those and the rose before taking up boards). I'll have another look in the switches to see if there is a detached wire somewhere. Cheers.

If your wiring is singles in conduit then there will not be any joints anywhere.

Do the wires in the conduit feel waxy, and appear to be of a braided cloth type covering?

Can you take a photo of the wiring and of your fusebox/meter and post it on here for us to advise futher?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the old cloth-covered wiring is what I have - reddish-brown (but not waxy). Unfortunately there has been a new meter and fusebox fitted somtime, so a picture won't help. There are 2 white T+E cables from the fuseboard which go to a junction box in the meter cupboard where they join to the old wiring in conduit coming down from 1st floor (4 wires - send and return?).

as has been said there will be no jb's since when using conduit you can take the wires directly to where is required.

it sounds like from your description you need a rewire

Thanks to all for suggestions and info on this: if I can't find the fault then re-wire it has to be!

Cheers.

From the sound of things it needs a rewire even if you do find the fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back