One ethernet port / socket failed

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The left socket has failed. I've swapped cables, tried different cables, but that one just won't work.

Looks OK inside, as in no loose cables. Do these things just fail sometimes? I'll check the cable in the loft, but that should not have been affected. Hopefully the cable is ok!

Can anybody spot anything odd?

IMG_20201003_170004951_2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Has that socket ever worked? Did you test it when you put it in? They are rated for a finite number of insertions/removals so failure is possible

Using a torch have a look at the contacts behind the shutter, sometimes one or two get bent

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Yeah, it was working, although once before it stopped after it was disturbed with a vacuum cleaner, but started working again. Today i moved the cabinet out the way and knocked it again, not worked since.

I'll check the cable in the loft, but that should not have been affected. Hopefully the cable is ok!...
Beware of rodents - for some reason, they seem particularly partial to nibbling telephone and Cat5 cables :)

Kind Regards, John

upload_2020-10-4_2-14-43.png

These 2 definitely look suspect. Maybe try some tweezers to pull it back into place. As crystal ball said, you are missing a pin, and do need all 8 for gigabit speeds. Needs replacing really. Krone tools are only a quid with a 3 month wait from ebay, or i'll post you mine. No use to me any more.

Looking carefully at the wiring for the one on the right when looking at the wires, something appears amiss with the brown/stripe? looks like its with the brown and the pull cord is in the place of brown stripe?

Suggest you get an Ethernet tester - saves loads of time as means you know which wire is at fault.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NETWORK-...969546?hash=item2cf92bf8ca:g:l1YAAOSwF4ddpZhm
or
https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-network-cable-tester/93219

otherwise Ethernet modules are cheap:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-cat-6-rj45-grid-module-white/51057

But I would suggest testing first.

And more advanced testing methods here if it is actually the cable.
https://www.interfacett.com/blogs/understanding-network-cable-testers/

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I see what you mean. Will have a fiddle. I think the brown/stripe is just bent around out of shot. It was working fine when first installed.

Might just get my electrician to take a look, he should be popping in next week for some lights.

Looking carefully at the wiring for the one on the right when looking at the wires, something appears amiss with the brown/stripe? looks like its with the brown and the pull cord is in the place of brown stripe?
I saw that but when I tried zooming in I convinced myself it's an illusion. Now I'm not so sure.

Well, might be the cable! Electrician replaced the socket that was not working, and still no joy, then swapped the cables over, and nothing again.
Checked the cable in the loft, no sign of damage, but it was a bit twisted in places and is running right alongside mains in places.

Next step is to replace the whole cable! Although might be worth checking the socket at the lounge end first.

THis was only looked at after the main electrical job today, he's going to quote me to replace cable.

Yes very common for them to fail especially if they are a cheap or unbranded RJ45 socket module, it's almost always an issue with the pins. Over time with something plugged in the pins loose their springy-ness, it'll work fine until it's disturbed or you disconnect the cable and connect something else, the pins now sitting higher than they should don't quote make a good enough contact. You might be able to bend them back but I'd save yourself the hassle and just get a new module.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back