One Ring Failing - Anything I can check?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one mains ring that has just stopped working. It's a "new" 2010 installed CU (had an extension with new ring for new sockets). The old (downstairs) ring doesn't trip just has stopped working.

I've included a pic of my extensive testing equipment.

The fuse light is on the 4 way adapter until a load is put on the ring.

If I turn the lamp on (either in the 4way or at another socket on the ring) the adapter fuse light goes out and the lamp doesn't work.

Is their anything I can do ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When the light on your super-duper test equipment goes out how do you get it to come on again?

Do you re-set the breaker?

Have you tried plugging another appliance in and seeing if it trips?

When the lamp is turned off, the light comes back on.
and yes if I plug anything into any socket on the same ring (and when I turn it on) the same happens.
It never trips.

At a quess it sounds like the Neutral of the supply is possibly breaking down.

I take it the lights are fine, so possibly a split load consumer unit.

This could possibly out of your depth unfortunately

Sponsored Links
If it is only affecting the one circuit as you say, it sounds like a problem around the MCB or neutral connections

The CU has two halves - one DP switch and two rcds
lights (up, down, extension), sockets (up, down, extension), boiler etc split over the two halves. It's just one MCB that relates to the set of sockets with the problem. everything else working fine.

Yes, sounds like a loose neutral connection.

Better get an electrician :)

Regards,

DS

If the ring is actually a ring then it could be loose connection of either neutral or line in the consumer unit.
It seems that the connection breaks down when even a small load (that lamp) is applied.

I would firstly suspect the place where the busbar connects to the base of the MCB (if your CU is configured like that), or the connection to the neutral busbar.

Dear Mr ForkHandles. You could check this yourself. Turn off the main switch on the consumer unit, use safe isolation procedures to make sure the CU is properly isolated, (you will need more than a lamp to confirm isolation!). //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1607158#1607158
Then you can use an insulated screwdriver to check the soundness of both connections.

Call an electrician if you do not know about safe isolation, or if you do not have the necessary test equipment (you don't)!

Thanks, Electrician coming tomorrow morning.

The MCB bus bar looks like its in (all screws tight)
The Neutral Link connections all look ok too.

There's only so much you can do with a lamp and a screw driver, but I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks again for the posts.

The MCB bus bar looks like its in (all screws tight)

I've had it before where the MCB has been dropped onto the busbar and the busbar fixing screw has been screwed up tight, but it has not gripped onto the fork.

If the ring is actually a ring then it could be loose connection of either neutral or line in the consumer unit.
It seems that the connection breaks down when even a small load (that lamp) is applied.

Reason I said Neutral, is that I think the Live is ok, the neon indicater is getting a return somehow through a very poor neutral or back to earth possibly via another appliance.
When the lamp or anything is plugged in it is simply bridging Live to Neutral thus extinquishing the neon.
If the neutral was breaking down under load, id expect the lamp to flicker or the appliances try to work.
Does that sound feasible.
we await the verdict :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back