Opinions on Main Combi boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently employed a new firm to service our boiler, which is a Main Combi Eco 25. The boiler has been relatively reliable to us with the only fault so far (after 3 years) being a replacement diverter valve. The boiler itself is 7 years old and we look after it (run it periodically during the summer and ensure it gets a good service).

While he was servicing it he commented on a probe being slightly worn and also a pot which was full of grey gunk. I think the pot is used to collect residue of the byproduct of the combustion process. Amongst the tutting and remarks, he did recommend I start saving up for a new boiler as these boilers are "cheap" and "unreliable".

I will keep having it serviced until there are major problems, but I did think a bit about his comments. Are these boilers really cheap and unreliable?

Sponsored Links
If the "probe" (electrodes) are that worn they should be replaced or the "pot" (the condensate trap) was that full of aluminium oxide he should have cleaned it out.

Others can comment on reliabilty (I've yet to see one) but from what I can see in the manual this is one of the cheapest boilers to maintain...even the main heat exchanger is a sensible price (failure writes most boilers off).
Many of the parts are standard and shared with other boiler models and manufacturers.

I think he's probably fishing for a new boiler install and just bringing you over to the idea...find someone else to maintain it.

The condensate trap with Aluminium oxide is normal, hope he cleaned it out properly

I've recently employed a new firm to service our boiler, which is a Main Combi Eco 25. The boiler has been relatively reliable to us with the only fault so far (after 3 years) being a replacement diverter valve. The boiler itself is 7 years old and we look after it (run it periodically during the summer and ensure it gets a good service).

While he was servicing it he commented on a probe being slightly worn and also a pot which was full of grey gunk. I think the pot is used to collect residue of the byproduct of the combustion process. Amongst the tutting and remarks, he did recommend I start saving up for a new boiler as these boilers are "cheap" and "unreliable".

I will keep having it serviced until there are major problems, but I did think a bit about his comments. Are these boilers really cheap and unreliable?
Budget boiler made by baxi.Quite reliable.I would say mid price rather than cheap and nasty.Easy to work on.Should easily get at least another 5 years no problem.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the responses -- I had suspicions he was fishing for some business hence me posting on here.

Condensate trap! Couldn't remember the work for it. He did empty it -- he fetched me to tell me as he was emptying it down the sink! Previous services clearly must have missed it off. The probe I referred to is working but he did comment on it showing signs of wear. Gut feeling is to leave it for now and replace if needed in the future.

I think you've helped me make my mind up in getting somebody else in next year. I'll always pay a good price for things like this and I won't scrimp on it, but without the sales pitch!

An automatic air vent was changed as well a couple of years ago

Thanks for the insight. One thing he did notice was an air vent on top of one item (think it was controlled by a float) was sticking a little bit. Maybe that's the same part.

Nearly all AAVs weep at some point, very unreliable not just on your boiler on nearly every boiler, your boiler is a budget boiler and landlords favourite, but a decent enough boiler, find a better service engineer and you will be able to keep it going no problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back