Optimum flow/return difference for Greenstar Ri

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The radiators in my house have all been replaced over the last year or 2 and I'm wanting to balance them. My understanding is that first I should get the boiler flow/return temperature difference right with all the radiators full on, but I'm not sure what that difference should be. It's a Greenstar Ri, about 7 years old I think, I found a manual https://www.freeboilermanuals.com/worcester/ which gives heat output for '40/30', '50/30' and '80/60'. Does that mean I could set flow to 50 and return 30, for example? And if the difference is 20, should I also make that the difference on all the radiators to match when I balance them?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the difference should be 20°C, with a maximum return temperate of 52°C, but lower if possible

Thanks, and the radiators should have the same difference, is that right?

Yes, although you'll probably find that a 15ºC differential across the radiator gives you a 20ºC differential at the boiler due to losses in the pipework

Sponsored Links
Thank you again. I have set the pump to minimum speed, the flow is at 51 and the return is at 42 with all radiators fully on (but water off). I assume that as I adjust the difference at the radiators the boiler will naturally follow. Not a ten minute job is it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back