Outdoor tap (old style) has leak - How to open and repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of guidance. DIY novice here, so please excuse me for using the wrong terminology to describe stuff : )

I have an old outdoor tap which constantly drips (see pic) from the tap spout.

It's an old tap (see pic) and I'm wondering how I would stop the dripping.
- I've already tried putting some PTFE tape into the top part (unscrewed the threaded part and accessed a cartridge - which doesn't fully 'come out' - and put a strip of PTFE in place).
-- While this did make the old tap feel 'tigher' (opens / closes more like a new tap), it did not stop the drip.

So, now i think i have to unscrew the 'bottom part' to access the cartridge where a faulty washer may be in place?
- I've tried unscrewing the lower part of the tap, but it's so stiff (painted over and probably not opened in 30 years) that I'm not sure I'm unscrewing the correct part?
-- The lower nut and 'flange' seem to be connected, so I guess I should be trying to open it from the lower nut, as opposed to the flange?
-- While trying to open this lower nut/flange the entire tap was starting to turn, so I paused until I gain some guidance.

Any advice greatly received.

Cheers,
John

Attachments

• OUTDOOR TAP.jpg
    OUTDOOR TAP.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 82
Sponsored Links
It's not what is called a cartridge type of tap, it is just a normal tap. If you mean dripping from the spout (where the water normally comes out), then it is the rubber tap washer which needs replacing - which cost just pennies. You access that, by undoing the entire upper halve of the tap, leaving just spout and inlet in place.

You can sometimes get a little more working life out of the washer, by simply truning them upside down.

Harry, huge thanks for this information!
- You are correct about where the dripping is coming from (the spout).
- Thank you for confirming that it is the 'rubber tap washer' that needs replacing.
- When you say "You access that, by undoing the entire upper half of the tap, leaving just spout and inlet in place"... Do you mean I do this by unscrewing the section of I've now labelled 1) or 2)? (Note: When I previously unscrewed from section 1, I don't recall being able to take this section all the way 'out' to allow me to access the washer).
= Huge thanks for your help.

Denso, thank you for your feedback. Appreciated. However, I want as little disruption as possible, so hoping not to fit a new tap.
- The stop cock doesn't fully shut my mains water off, just down to a trickle (that's another issue), so replacing the full tap is a bit of a faff.
- I also don't want the hassle of mounting, lagging, etc. a new tap, so going with the path of least work.
= Thanks for the suggestion though.

Cheers,
John

Attachments

• OUTDOOR TAP - 1 or 2.jpg
    OUTDOOR TAP - 1 or 2.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
Thank you Denso, that's (Item 2) what I thought.
- Unfortunately, that's the part of the tap that I've struggled to open.
-- I'll get some WD40 on it and a bigger wrench! : )

Thanks, guys.
John

- When you say "You access that, by undoing the entire upper half of the tap, leaving just spout and inlet in place"... Do you mean I do this by unscrewing the section of I've now labelled 1) or 2)? (Note: When I previously unscrewed from section 1, I don't recall being able to take this section all the way 'out' to allow me to access the washer).

1 only gives you access to the sealing gland. #2 should unscrew and allow access to replace the washer on the end of the spindle. The washer might be fixed to the end of the spindle by a screw.

Thanks again, Harry. Appreciated.
- I suspected i'd have to access this area. Now it's time for the WD40 and a big wrench to help me get this opened.

Cheers,
John : )

To comply with Water regulations outside taps require a double check valve and an interior stop valve
To prevent problems in the future it would be cheaper to replace the outside tap with a modern one .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back