Outside electrics supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand all outside electrics i.e. garage need their own supply would a separate consumer box with rcd's run off a spur from one of the main rings be sufficient or does it need to be a bit more complicated than that ?

Sponsored Links
It depends what you are wanting, you wouldn't run a consumer unit from a spur off a ring. It would need to be fed directly from the consumer unit.

I understand all outside electrics

would a separate consumer box with rcd's run off a spur from one of the main rings be sufficient or does it need to be a bit more complicated than that ?

So in actual fact, you do not fully understand how to do the job at all? Regardless of where you take the feed from, it is significantly more complicated then slinging a cable and a few sockets in.

In answer to your actual question, it is possible to feed an outbuilding via an FCU from a ring final, but you will be limited to a maximum load of 13A. There will also be other issues to consider including RCD protection and the existing load on said ring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back