Outside light repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My outside light has stopped working. It's nothing fancy; just a standard 100W bayonet cap fit. I opened it up and the mains comes in to 3 pins which the fitting connects to, then there's 3 wires into a box with a number if electronic components, and what looks like some sort of sensor (light sensor? Not sure). From the same "3 pins" box comes 2 white wires into the bayonet cap fitting.

I've checked mains voltage and it's fine. My suspicion is it's the sensor. Anyone know if these are replaceable?

Cheers, Paul.

Sponsored Links
May be replaceable, but it's likely the cost will be as much as complete new light fitting.

Cheers, are they all wired up like this? Does it actually need the sensor, is it a safety mechanism? Is it safe to rewire it to bypass the sensor so it's just on / off?

Any recommendations on replacements (if that's allowed here)?

Thanks a lot, Paul.

If it's a PIR it will be OK to bypass the sensor so it will be just a normal light

Sponsored Links
Cheers. What's the PIR for anyway - to ensure the light's only on if it's dark?

Cheers. What's the PIR for anyway - to ensure the light's only on if it's dark?
It detects movement by Infra Red (heat) and so the light comes on when people approach or walk past.
A photo cell also means it only lights at night.

Could be a photocell so the light only comes on when it's dark. Google magic eye.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back