Outside The Zones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having a bit of a disagreement as to what constitutes "outside the zones" in a bathroom, as regards cupboards.

One guy says if you need a key to access the cupboard, it is OK to fit accessories into it. Another guy says that if you cannot touch the bath & the accessories together, then it is OK.

I reckon a cupboard is automatically outside the zones.

Are we all wrong?

PS I've posted this on another forum, for those who are unfaithful. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The way I understand if it is inaccessable without the use of a tool then it is outside the zones.

Hello Secure and 123,
I have worked in many homes where cupboards inside the bathroom are home to the immersion and heating control wiring, many people put towels in them and probrobly grab for them blindly after a bath/shower !

Another grey area ???? :LOL:

We had one poster ask if he could fit a boiler above his bath if he put it in a cupboard ;)

Sponsored Links
One theory is that if the cupboard is Z3 or beyond it is ok.

If Z2, then stuff should be IPX4 rated.

Unless the cupboard is such that the open door(s) prevent access to electrical stuff while in bath, in which case the open doors could be sen as effectively limiting Z2.

I really don't know. Just wondered if there was a clearcut "standard" approach here. Seems not!

Any NIC folk want to comment??

securespark said:
Any NIC folk want to comment??

Nope ;)

IIRC the use of a tool related to removal of the bath panel and thus which zone under a bath is.

Spark123 said:
We had one poster ask if he could fit a boiler above his bath if he put it in a cupboard ;)

Joking aside, I think you can now fit in Z1..

Boilers are now IP rated, and if you have rcd protection, I believe you can.

I think that was the general outcome of the thread, providing the manufacturer specified it was acceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back