overtaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when i passed my driving test i was always told MIRROR,SIGNAL,MANOVURE.so why is it that i always check that there is nothing behind me then i indicate and pull out :mad: but there is always some stupid t**t that just pulls out right in front of me :evil: if they had checked their mirrors they would have seen that i was signalling to overtake them.when i get full boost its 2 secs to overtake and not 5mins like mr dick in his saxo.and when i have overtaken them both they just tailgate you and act as if it was my fault?it was a straight strectch of road and a big artic so i waited to see if he would go 1st as he was in front so i kept back then f*** me he just pulls out as i'm level with him. :mad: :mad:

Sponsored Links
It's the lack of signalling that does it... He knows he intends to pull out, and assumes you took A-level mind-reading and thus also know his intentions. :LOL:

If they signalled, you would know he wanted to overtake and would no doubt let him go first.

I think Mirror Signal Manoeuvre should be changed, however. Motorcyclists learn Mirror, Signal, Lifesaver, Manoeuvre (a lifesaver is the look over the shoulder that you will see any good motorcyclist doing before any manoeuvre, the reason for the name is obvious! :D ). After doing CBT I reckon my driving improved overnight simply because complacency is far more likely to kill you on a bike. You also learn that even if it was the other guy's fault, that's not much use to you if you're dead.

I have noticed most drivers don't check their blind spots before a manoeuvre. I've also noticed I spend a lot of time watching the other drivers when I drive :LOL:

AdamW said:
After doing CBT I reckon my driving improved overnight simply because complacency is far more likely to kill you on a bike. :

I agree, and I think the roads would be generally a lot safer if learner drivers also had to learn to ride a moped through a town centre.

Sponsored Links
petewood said:
[ I think the roads would be generally a lot safer if learner drivers also had to learn to ride a moped through a town centre.

Would that also mean it will be safer to ride a bush-bike here ?? Tried it once, but never, never, never again ! We've send our (typical Dutch) bikes back to family members. Pitty though, would have liked to have cycled more down all these country-lanes here :confused:

WoodYouLike said:
.....Would that also mean it will be safer to ride a bush-bike here ?? ....

Wood you rather a push bike? .. sure you wood, Wood. ;) :D

Riding our village's bush-bike generally ended up with getting sores in your saddle :eek: ;)

Never understood why they can be called pushbikes, when surely the one innovation that raises it above the hobby horse is the fact you pedal, rather than push. Kinda like calling a car a "horse-drawn carriage" in my eyes.

Does anyone know where "pushbike" comes from?

AdamW said:
Does anyone know where "pushbike" comes from?

you had to push em uphill due to the lack of gears and aching legs?

pipme said:
Wood you rather a push bike?
:oops: :oops:

Never understood the term Push-bike, never heard it before we came here. When I talked about our bikes, everyone thought we had motor-bikes :D :D

Weren't the first bikes 'walking'-bikes (pushing your feet to the ground to get in motion?)

Yes, they were called "hobby horses" over here. This is why I thought it was strange, as if I were given the task of giving the name "push bike" to something, that is what I would give it to.

I had a brief liaison with an American who referred to her pedal-bike as a "bicycle" at all times. When she heard the word "bike" she was thinking motorbike. Except she wasn't sure what I meant by "motorbike" because where she comes from they call them "motorcycles". :LOL:

If only those electric/pedal hybrid bikes were about then, I would have loved to see her try to describe one of those :LOL:

Wikipedia said:
The most likely originator of the bicycle is German Baron Karl von Drais, who rode his 1816 machine while collecting taxes from his tenants. He patented his draisine, a number of which still exist, including one in the Paleis het Loo museum in Apeldoorn, the Netherlands. These were pushbikes, powered by the action of the rider's feet pushing against the ground.
LINK NewScientist
LINK Wikipedia

Hmmm Woody, your Nether-regions mentioned ... ;)
:D

Of course :D :D Country of the Push bikes !
(Ever saw a factory gate at the beginning or end of shifts/day?) :D

Sponsored Links
Back