Overtaking

There is also the attitude of 'I am doing 70, its a 70 limit, so they should not be passing'

Sponsored Links
hermes said:
crafty1289 said:
Picture the scene. A quiet 3 lane motorway, lets say 6am sunday morning. I'm driving in the left lane, minding my own, when i approach another motorist in the middle lane, to my right, who i want to pass. There's no reason for him to be there, theres nobody else about. So i always make a point of moving behind them, into the outside lane, passing them, and moving back in front of them to the left lane (obviously while maintaining a safe distance, but doing it so they notice me doing it). Some people just dont get it. I can just picture them saying "well why doesnt he just drive in the outside lane?"

Sure I will get hammered for this but I would go past on the inside in this situation.

So do I but read this from the Highway Code

242: Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

I find it quite irritating when people stick to the middle lane, especially when you find someone doing 60-65mph and the inside lane is totally free.

I do agree with what 'Diyisfun' says that some people think is true.

notb665 said:
I never move for motorcyclists.

Did you learn this in Portugal as well? (which incidentally has an appalling road safety record. iirc the most dangerous road in Western Europe, Lisbon to the Algarve?).

Sponsored Links
keyplayer said:
In the interests of safety and self preservation, if anyone spots crafty approaching in their mirrors, I advise pulling onto the hard shoulder and stopping. For about twenty minutes.
I advise the same approach to Keyplayer. He's probably got a screw or a nail or a house brick lodged in his tyre that he cant be bothered getting fixed.

hermes said:
crafty1289 said:
Picture the scene. A quiet 3 lane motorway, lets say 6am sunday morning. I'm driving in the left lane, minding my own, when i approach another motorist in the middle lane, to my right, who i want to pass. There's no reason for him to be there, theres nobody else about. So i always make a point of moving behind them, into the outside lane, passing them, and moving back in front of them to the left lane (obviously while maintaining a safe distance, but doing it so they notice me doing it). Some people just dont get it. I can just picture them saying "well why doesnt he just drive in the outside lane?"

Sure I will get hammered for this but I would go past on the inside in this situation.

So do I and most of the people you pass on the inside don't' even notice. They just site there with their chin in the steering wheel staring into space. They even miss my friendly wave

Slogger said:
notb665 said:
I never move for motorcyclists.
:LOL: wing mirrors come off very easily watch out BOOT :cool:

I once tried to pass a guy on the right on my way to the Blackwall Tunnel, as I started to pull along side he moved over. I assumed he hadn't seen me, so dropped back and moved over to the left. He then swerved over to the left! If he had been a litte closer he would have had a bit dent in the side of his BMW passenger door. Instead all he got was nasty scratch from my toe slider :evil:

I will move out of the way for anyone that wants to get past me. If they are driving faster than me them I'm going to hold them up...it's only fair. :)

crafty1289 said:
keyplayer said:
In the interests of safety and self preservation, if anyone spots crafty approaching in their mirrors, I advise pulling onto the hard shoulder and stopping. For about twenty minutes.
I advise the same approach to Keyplayer. He's probably got a screw or a nail or a house brick lodged in his tyre that he cant be bothered getting fixed.

Lol @ crafty 1289, the self confessed highway hazard! Seems like a good time for a reminder.

crafty1289 said:
keyplayer, the tyre will be less resistant to SHOCK. one big bump could send the screw flying into someone's eyes and the sudden depressurisation could rip the tyre straight off the rim depending what speed you are doing. Think about it - 400kg dropping onto one point is a pretty big blow.

I'm still thinking about it.............. lol, lol...

Sponsored Links
Back