motorway etiquette

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a thought earlier as I was driving down the M18 towards the junction with the M1. At this junction, the M18 ends and you either go north or south on the M1.

The left lane goes north, and the other 2 lanes go south. I was going north (towards Meadowhell). The lanes are marked as such for about a mile.

Now as I was in the left lane, and most traffic (including all the lorries) were going south (to my right), I found myself overtaking in the left lane. Would you do this if there was nothing ahead in the left lane and you had to be in the left lane?

Does this violate motorway rules?

/Discuss :LOL:

Sponsored Links
no. traffic filtering to the right, particularly those turning right on a regular carriageway, will by necessity have to drive slower than those in the left lane.

noseall said:
no. traffic filtering to the right, particularly those turning right on a regular carriageway, will by necessity have to drive slower than those in the left lane.
nonono, I fear you dont understand. The M18 splits and one lane goes to M1 north, filtering straight on, and the 2 lanes go south, again, filtering straight on, there are no queues here unless there's a jam on the M1. The traffic this morning was free-flowing, but I was obviously going faster than the lorries in the middle lane, heading south and I was to their left heading north, before the road splits.

here where the M18 comes down from the top right here.

if im reading the situation right, then no its not a problem because you are filtering for seperate lanes to each direction, so each lane is a road in itself (they wouldnt have built it that way if there was a problem!)

you worry too much, or have too much thinking time in the car. Get a foreign language cd for the car and teach yourself a language instead!

Sponsored Links
as i said, if the traffic filtering off is moving slower than you then so be it.

it is not regarded as "under taking".

joe, stop trying to cause arguments.

noseall said:
as i said, if the traffic filtering off is moving slower than you then so be it.

it is not regarded as "under taking".

joe, stop trying to cause arguments.

It matters not whether the traffic to your right (in this particular situation) is travelling faster or slower than you are in the left lane. They are classed as 2 seperate carriageways BUT you must always be alert for the 'prat' who is in the right lane and changes to the left lane at the last minute. (You know the type...races down the fast lane then expects to move into a left hand lane when it suits him/her)

I agree with nose.

AFAIR, my instructor used to say that if my lane of traffic happened to be travelling faster that the others, then there were no violations on my part in keeping up.

crafty1289 said:
Does this violate motorway rules?
No. What "rule" do you suspect exists, that you might be violating?

The lane markings will have changed.
Its also common sence.
M23 from Gatwick going to M25, there are lots of examples, I find it strange leaving a motorway on the right hand side, and there are m/ways that do that.

crafty I use this junction as well sometimes, but I am usually heading south down to junction 30 on the M1.
I find the best use of the junction is to move over into the left-hand lane (northbound), overtake as many lorries as you can on the inside before nipping back out to the right at the last minute.
Lorry drivers appreciate this kind of lane-swapping and will often give you a cheery wave and a toot on the horn!

hermes said:
Lorry drivers appreciate this kind of lane-swapping and will often give you a cheery wave and a toot on the horn!

Lol @ hermes. I suspect you are interpreting their actions a little optimistically.

Softus, I suspected by overtaking lorries on the inside, that I was breaking motorway rules.

If you really want to be sure of breaking rules, use the hard shoulder like some gits do.

I am sure one of the parts in the highway code state that you may not pass traffic on the inside unless it is moving slower than you are, which I find hilarious. Just imagine passing traffic that is going faster than you are... Although I believe the wording to a bit more robust than mine, and that it relates to slow moving traffic in queues.

wheres the ex copper guy here when you need him (as he was on duty I expext taking bungs for speeders "fines", an using the Police National Computer for local Crim families to evade the future drug busts ..lol)
<that was a joke ...
ex plod here is a nice guy , well respected guy ,

cos he just rang me an told me to post it ..lol :)

Softus
DONT FEED THE TROLLS ..ignore them they starve an DIE ...lol

although all NEW guys/gals should be nurtured an loved here ...just read between the lines , an be wary ...:) :) :)

TimWest said:
you should be banned from this forum for breaking etiquette!
You can't make an omelette without breaking etiquette. :D

crafty1289 said:
Softus, I suspected by overtaking lorries on the inside, that I was breaking motorway rules.
crafty, AFAIK there's no specific law that prohibits overtaking on the inside, and it's perfectly legal in any circumstances where it's safe. For example, it's deemed sufficiently safe when a car is preparing to turn right and traffic can past on its nearside.

Sponsored Links
Back